• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Better value? Refurbished or closeout model

Reaction score
I am considering a lap top pro computer as my second Mac. I want one with the Intel chip so I can run both a Mac and windows systems but do not need the newest model. I have been looking at Apple’s refurbished laptops as well as the closeout models of laptops being sold by several on-line computer stores. How reliable are Apples refurbished laptops? Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra $350 dollars for the extended warranty on these units? Or should I shop around some of the on-line computer stores for the closeout models of laptop pros and the packages they offer. I would be interested in some feedback and opinions on my problem.

Reaction score
I have had no problems with my refurb. I have heard some people even argue that you are less likely to get a refurb that is a lemon since they put them through more testing that new units, but I don't know how true that is.

OP
V
Reaction score
Extended warranties?

What are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty from Apple? Laptops get a little more abuse so to speak than a desktop unit. Is it worth the extra money to go beyond the usual 90-day warranty to 3 years?

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty from Apple? Laptops get a little more abuse so to speak than a desktop unit. Is it worth the extra money to go beyond the usual 90-day warranty to 3 years?

Refurbs come with 1 year warranty.

I never buy warranties, but thats just me. AppleCare doesn't cover the kind of issues that I figure I am likely to have. Example: If I dropped it and broke the screen, that wouldn't be covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I HIGHLY suggest you buy apple care.. it will extend your one year standard apple warranty another two years.. My wife and I both had some issues in the 13month of use.. If we did not have apple care we would have been out $700 parts and labor.. the apple care paid for it all. we have already paid off the $700 we spent on apple care..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.