• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best conversion programs??

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and I am looking for a highly reccomended video conversion program. I want to be able to convert files to ipod mpeg4 format, as well as multiple other formats?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Handbreak(FREE), the full one, not instant. Of course instant is good if you have no idea what you are doing.

I also use QuickTime Pro.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have Visual Hub, however I have problems with it. I am trying to convert all these mkv files into ipod format, and it pretty much just freezes up on file 2 84 minutes when I try to do it...

Is this the best program to be using for mkv conversion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even know what an .mkv file is....

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and I am looking for a highly reccomended video conversion program. I want to be able to convert files to ipod mpeg4 format, as well as multiple other formats?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
There is a free video conversion program for videos that did not come from DVD, but you would have to put up with an annoying message (if you decide to not pay for it). It is called ffmpegX (located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#ffmpegx). It will convert MPEG to MOV or DVIX AVI or FLV (flash video) or Ipod format mpeg 4 and h.264 or many different version of some formats. For DVDs to iPod format, go with HandBrake (located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#handbrake .) FFmpegX can also convert audio files to different formats. I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
There is a free video conversion program for videos that did not come from DVD, but you would have to put up with an annoying message (if you decide to not pay for it). It is called ffmpegX (located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#ffmpegx). It will convert MPEG to MOV or DVIX AVI or FLV (flash video) or Ipod format mpeg 4 and h.264 or many different version of some formats. For DVDs to iPod format, go with HandBrake (located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#handbrake .) FFmpegX can also convert audio files to different formats. I hope this helps you.

these guys on here are morons, you didn't say you wanted to convert them from DVD so handbrake is useless. I've never got FFMPEGX to work, i thought it was trash, The fact of the matter is when it comes to converting theres really only 1 program that works well and thats Quicktime Pro, the only thing thats wrong with that is it's not free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Any suggestions?

Thanks

www.versiontracker.com search for "Isquint". Great free program that will convert .avi/.wmv etc into mp4 so you can watch them on the ipod..

Reaction score
these guys on here are morons, you didn't say you wanted to convert them from DVD so handbrake is useless. I've never got FFMPEGX to work, i thought it was trash, The fact of the matter is MAC is a piece of **** when it comes to converting theres really only 1 program that works well and thats Quicktime Pro, the only thing thats wrong with that is it's not free.
He said a video converter that can convert to other file formats plus I don't think you got all the required component to make it work, like you were supposed to. Actually, Handbrake can convert by two ways, but true since they did not say from DVD to iPod format then Handbrake is useless (the other way is through a Video TS folder). However, they did not mention that they wanted to convert video files on the hard drive either (in that post I was quoting). Read more carefully to what was being quoted, besides this is not the Parallels forum, where there are many more video conversion programs for the guest operating system, which its members can suggest.

Edit: I found a forum thread on another site talking about FFmpegX converting your mkv file format it is located at http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=310534, which means that it will convert from that format too (under certain conditions)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just what we need, another format. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20-inch 1GB memory 250GB hard drive 8x DL SuperDrive NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics
Quicktime is good also....but you need a pro version for that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
these guys on here are morons, you didn't say you wanted to convert them from DVD so handbrake is useless. I've never got FFMPEGX to work, i thought it was trash, The fact of the matter is when it comes to converting theres really only 1 program that works well and thats Quicktime Pro, the only thing thats wrong with that is it's not free.

He didn't say he didn't either. And lots of people do end up wanting to know how to do DVDs.

iTunes will convert some files natively without buying QTp.

and the link provided with FFMPEGX, would actually take him to a whole barrage of conversion programs. And allot if it is freeware. http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html

From the youthful 'heat' of your post I would question your age, and your experience with video conversion; and your ability to click on links.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.