Does Mac have any e-mail other than .mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I just switched to a new imac (love it... good choice!) when my hp died and I'm using the .mac trial for 60 days. Will I have no e-mail with mac if I don't subscribe to .mac? I like the e-mail but the subscription is quite expensive and I don't see much else I would use except maybe a little storage. Is it really worth the money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Get Microsoft Office for Mac..I find it much better than Appleworks and it also comes with Entourage (An e-mail client). You can almost call it a universal e-mail client that let's you use your existing e-mail address.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
How do I access and set up mail?

Can I set it up without a .mac account and will it still be a mac.com address?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mail in OSX will work with ANY POP or SMTP Email account.

IChat will work with .mac and AIM and Jabber.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I think what she's asking has nothing to do with the mail client.

What you need is a free, web based e-mail address, that supports POP, IMAP, or Exchange, if you want to use a client like Mail, Entourage, or Outlook to access your email.

-Yahoo will work, and is free
-Gmail is also free and works with client access. To get a Gmail account you have to have a cell phone that can receive text messages.

There are lots of free e-mail services, not all of which offer Client access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Who is your isp? You most likely already have email through them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Who is your isp? You most likely already have email through them.

Good point, however if you ever change ISP, you loose your e-mail addy. Whereas with a free e-mail SP you will always have the same one, not matter who provides your internet service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
It's not too difficult to setup an email besides .mac using Mail. I've got my .mac account, and a pair of comcast accounts all setup with only one minor glitch. By default mail groups all of your inboxes together, so you have to setup new "Smart Mailboxes" for each account. Not too difficult, but a minor roadblock to success. If you need more info on this I can gladly help you, also if anyone knows an easy way around this roadblock, feel free to chime in.

Reaction score
Mail automatically creates a separate Inbox for each discrete account. The "main" inbox simply shows what's in all of the others. If you have three separate accounts set up being checked by Mail there should be a little triangle next to the Inbox icon. Click it, and a tree will drop down with a small inbox for each individual account.

In fact, the main Inbox is nothing but a Smart Folder that reports all of the messages in your discrete inboxes.

Also, you could add either the Mailbox or To fields to your Inbox layout; this would tell you at a glance which account received the message. To do this, just right-click on the field labels (where it says From, Subject, Date Received, etc. above the list of emails you've got in your box) and choose the appropriate field to add.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You don't need Smart Mailboxes to separate your mail.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Mail automatically creates a separate Inbox for each discrete account. The "main" inbox simply shows what's in all of the others. If you have three separate accounts set up being checked by Mail there should be a little triangle next to the Inbox icon. Click it, and a tree will drop down with a small inbox for each individual account.

In fact, the main Inbox is nothing but a Smart Folder that reports all of the messages in your discrete inboxes.

Also, you could add either the Mailbox or To fields to your Inbox layout; this would tell you at a glance which account received the message. To do this, just right-click on the field labels (where it says From, Subject, Date Received, etc. above the list of emails you've got in your box) and choose the appropriate field to add.

You don't need Smart Mailboxes to separate your mail.

Wow, this made my email experience that much better. Thanks for the tip!

[/threadjack]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.