• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Do I need Final Cut?

S

Sarka

Well, I'm getting a MacMini for Christmas this year (well, half of one. I'm paying for half of it) and was wondering if I should buy Final Cut Express alongside it?

I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing on it - probably what I'll be doing most on it infact but everyone always says how good iMovie is - so is Final Cut really worth it?

Any advice is appericiated, thanks!

Reaction score
It all depends what your going to be editing. Final Cut Express is a real nice program and probably what you will be leaning to if you want a more powerful imovie.
My advice would be test out imovie before you get Final Cut, and see if you will like it.

Reaction score
or go to the apple store and play around with final cut on a demo and see if u like it....

OP
S

Sarka

Ok, sounds good. I'll try it out and will probably get it - seems much more powerful and professional. It seems like if I could get to grips with it it would be much better - and I love trying to get to grips with things. :D (is that meant to be happy?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
It really is based on what you are going to be editing on their, like is it a job like thing or just for fun, do you want to do highdef video or not. I used imove for about 3 years now and its been pretty good I just changed to final cut pro hd a while ago. If you want something hard and really pro then final cut is the way to go.

Reaction score
Always Final Cut if you can afford it; it's a learning curve, but iMovie will develop bad editing habits if you intend to do a lot of editing. iMovie is fine for home movies, maybe even a YouTube or two, but if you want to invest any time in film-making, go for FC.

OP
S

Sarka

I was wondering if my graphics card is actually good enough to run Express? Here are the stats:

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x27a2
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Dell E193FP:
Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

I think it should as it's an Intel GMA with Quartz but I want to make sure before spend lots of cash. I have the very cheapest Mac btw, the cheapest MacMini. Heh.

Any reassurance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.