Maintenance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 & 30GB iPod Video
What maintenance tasks do I need to perform regularly on a mac? Is there anything that I need to do do the HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
repair permissons and clear caches well not regularly but when your mac starts to get hang a bit. no need for defraging though

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4 & 30GB iPod Video
How do macs get away with not needing to defrag?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
the automaticly defrag files over 25 mb. which its most files. if you do video editing or something you could pick up a third party defrager

M

MacHeadCase

About the repair permissions thing... If you have a Mac OS X Panther 10.3.x Mac, this is very true. But if you run Tiger 10.4.x, the repair permissions thing has been fixed.

As for freebie maintenance utility apps, you can check out OnyX: it's very powerful and it does plenty of things.

Another one that I love and use on a daily basis is MainMenu. It does some of the same things OnyX does.

One thing I would recommend you buy and keep in case of big emergencies is Alsoft's DiskWarrior. This app has saved my hide when I thought nothing would. Like for instance a recalcitrant iMac after a power failure while I was using it. I kept getting the grey screen with the spinning disk and nothing would come on after that. DiskWarrior fixed everything in the directory. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.