• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Winstall.exe - helpp!!

A

alisaselez

Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Thank you

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Hello alisaselez. Welcome here.

But, uhm like... This is a Mac forum?...

Did you get this running Boot Camp on the Windows side?

And this is certainly not the forum to post this either. This is a rumours sub-forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
This creatures can create a copy of themselves everytime you restart your PC, so unless you clean the source it is pointless. AV software from the Internet can be dangerous too, they can give you false information so you buy their products, go for a standard AV like Norton Antivirus. Anyway, this links can help you...

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/winstall.exe.php
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-041209-2932-99&tabid=1

Two final advices, allways post your question in the rigth section, it will get an answer faster and our Moderators won't have to move it, and of course, forget Windows and get a Mac :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.