• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Should it take this long to encode a movie??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I wanted to try Handbrake so I copied a DVD to my MBP using iDVD (or iMovie) and copied it to a DVD-RW using Handbrake. It took Handbrake about 2-3 hours to encode before copying to the disk. Is this normal?? I have 2.13 C2D with 512 RAM. The file size was about 1GB. I checked activity monitor and Handbrake was only using %50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I wanted to try Handbrake so I copied a DVD to my MBP using iDVD (or iMovie) and copied it to a DVD-RW using Handbrake. It took Handbrake about 2-3 hours to encode before copying to the disk. Is this normal?? I have 2.13 C2D with 512 RAM. The file size was about 1GB. I checked activity monitor and Handbrake was only using %50.

did it take two or three hours? two seems about right.. three seems a bit high..

I rip dvd's a lot with handbrake and it takes me 1.5-2 hours for a gig..

I use a Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz with 2 gigs of ram.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That timeframe is about normal for Handbrake. It does take quite a long time to encode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Alot also depends on your other encoding settings. MP4 will take about 2-3 hours generally while H.264 will take 5-6. Now on my G5 H.264 (which is how I always encode) would have take almost a whole day to complete sometimes.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
on my c2d macbook, iDVD normally takes me about 3-5 hours from start to finish to put an avi file (from 500Mb to 1G) on a dvd (encoding and burning).

so i'd guess that number is pretty average.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
...to my MBP using... I have 2.13 C2D with 512 RAM.
I don't think so. That machine does not exist, unless it is a pre-release version.

You should go to your profile and enter you proper machine specs, then you don't have to enter them into your messages.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, 2.16. just got the numbers crossed between that and the 2.33

Well, that stinks about the length of time. I suppose if I want to do any major encoding, I could run it overnight.

Is there any way to pause encoding if necessary??

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the processes turned around. Copying the Movie onto my MBP took about 2 hours, but I think writing the movie onto another disc using iDVD took more than 3 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
how do u use apple idvd or imovie to put a dvd i bought on my computer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.