• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

want to view and avi on dvd player

Reaction score
Hi

Another mac newbie. Have an avi file that I wish to view on my dvd player/tv. In windows I would convert using nero but not sure how to do it on a macbook

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Al

Reaction score
Hi

Another mac newbie. Have an avi file that I wish to view on my dvd player/tv. In windows I would convert using nero but not sure how to do it on a macbook

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Al

Well what do you want to convert it to, DVD? Then you need to convert it to mpeg2 then burn it using toast.

OP
A
Reaction score
convert it to mp2 or mp4

Hi

Do I need to convert it to mp2 or mp4 before using toast. Do dvd players recognize mp2

Al

L

LukeSkope

DVD players generally only recognize mpeg-2.

Drag it into Toast, it should convert it to mpeg-2 on the fly, unless Toast doesn't have the proper codec, since .avi is a wrapper, not a format.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you have a dvd burner, iDVD will convert and burn an avi in one step.

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the video using Toast 7. The movie my friend made (not sure what he used or how it was formatted, although it is an avi file) plays on both his desktop and my laptop fine but when I burn it as a DVD and play it in a DVD player not all of the image is viewable on the screen.

Basically it looks like the movie was made for widescreen, because I lose almost 50% of the video because it's not fitting according to screen size.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or a program I can buy that will fix my problem? It's basically something for school and I don't want to lose out on quality because we didn't exactly have any high quality recording gear so it's important that the video id affected as little as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
At least you had an image on your DVD player. Mine works fine in the Mac, but my DVD player/recorder rejects the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.