Another Admin. password forgotten

K

Kree03

Hello Guys,
My name is Kristyn and I'm new to these forums...
Lets start by saying how much I love Macs I have been using them for as long as I can remember. Mostly because my father refuses to buy anything but.
I haven't been on one going on 3 years now and I am a little rusty on the whats and what not's of macs. Which really makes no difference in this situation so I need your help.

I have been up and down this forum looking for ANYTHING that could solve all my problems; I have now given up on my search and surrender my Mac issues to you.

My dad had a old friend stay with him awhile back and felt the need to lock up the computer (He has A TON of files and important everythings dealing with his business) He set up 4 different user IDs 2 for my little brothers and 2 for him. Not but 3 weeks later all passwords have been forgotten except one which has VERY limited access.
He has been putting off finding a solution to this for 6 months now and during my trip to Houston he told me to take it and if I can fix it it's mine. But first recover all files and folders burning them to disk.

I was given the g4 back when it first came out. What was that 2002? It is stuffed full of goodies but my dad being my dad never kept track of the software needed in such instances. I know I need to contact apple to receive a new diskbut the thing is I have no clue if apple could pull up our account seeing as it was 4 years+ ago.
Also the Mac is not hooked to internet so I have to use this pc im on from work. Can anyone shine a little light my direction and get this dusty G4 up and purring again? And I need to know EXACTLY what to do to keep ALL files and folders in tact once install is complete.

Thanks guys for your time I know I wrote a novel. I'm pulling hair out here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you have the installation Disks, the task is really easy.

1) Boot from the Disk No 1.
2) Goto the "Reset Admin Password".
3) Give a new password and confirm.

That should be it.

OP
K

Kree03

Well thats the thing I (well my father) misplaced the disks when he moved so I am looking for some cheap disks and the fastest I can receive them.
Also since this computer has been collecting dust for several months any suggestions on what I should install, reinstall, or repair?
Oh' last night I jotted down some specs for my G4 maybe it can help direct you better.

Mac OS X 10.3.6 (7r28)
800MHz Power PC G4-Processor-
Classic 9 Installed; Not running
FireWire
Firmware version:2.6.3

And thanks for the comment but really give me a break on the suspicious bit. We are all human and most of us can't remember what we had for breakfast. So you can't be that surprised that a few forgotten passwords popped up on this MAC forum. Can you?
Thanks guys for your posts I hope to be up and running in no time.
Around that time I will be posting more trying to remember the MAC system. HaHa

OP
K

Kree03

All I want for Christmas...

Is a new Mac OS X Install CD so I can finally start up this computer my father whole heartedly put into my hands. About 6 months ago he forgot his Admin. Password and can only sign in under his very restricted coach user.

Last night I searched deep into the G4's system folders I got lost and found things I never new Mac had to offer... Don't PANIC just yet guys I made sure to only open some documents and never save any changes I might have mistakenly made.

Now through all that rubbish I found last night is there any way I can over-write the Admin. Password? Or somehow tweek it to what I would like it to be. Or even better yet ERASE THEM ALL!!!!!!!.....j.k

I really have been going through a bunch of hassle just getting a Disk in my hand I'm about to go crazy. And I don't have internet at home on the G4 so any kind of downloading has to be done here on my PC at work... Please anyone have any input or suggestions to keep me from insanity?:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Now through all that rubbish I found last night is there any way I can over-write the Admin. Password? ......I really have been going through a bunch of hassle just getting a Disk in my hand I'm about to go crazy. And I don't have internet at home on the G4 so any kind of downloading has to be done here on my PC at work...
You will need a disk to reset the password. There is no way to download one, so you will have to purchase it. If you can get to somewhere that has internet access, you can purchase retail versions of the OS on sites like eBay for a good price. Some of the third party resellers also offer the OS at a discount.

OP
K

Kree03

I knew I would I just needed it to be posted and read by me...

Well I'm off to ebay and others. Thank you for crushing my Christmas dreams of that beautiful Install disk... I will always remember a time when I thought it could be free. hahaha. Sorry guys....it's almost time to go home!

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Well thats the thing I (well my father) misplaced the disks when he moved so I am looking for some cheap disks and the fastest I can receive them.
*snip*
Check eBay for full Panther install disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
And thanks for the comment but really give me a break on the suspicious bit. We are all human and most of us can't remember what we had for breakfast. So you can't be that surprised that a few forgotten passwords popped up on this MAC forum. Can you?
Thanks guys for your posts I hope to be up and running in no time.
Around that time I will be posting more trying to remember the MAC system. HaHa

Are you talking about Macs or Media Access Systems? Sorry, but ever since I noticed Surfwax's sig, this has bothered me.

The reset admin password is all too easy to do isn't it? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
help! I need to reset my admin password... just got my brand new macbook pro in the mail. did what the manual tells me:

restart w/ Mac OS X install disk 1 and hold C. something pops up and i am told to go to Utilities------->Reset Password.

HOWEVER, i see nothing that says Utilities.

Thanks a bunch

Reaction score
yes, yet another, but with a glitch

Hi All, one of our users here forgot their password, so I put their #1 disk in to reset it. When I went to reset password a window came up that ask to select disk, then user. The only user listed was system administrator (root). I selected this and tried to put in a new password and it said I didn't have privileges. This is strange. Its been a while since I've reset a password, but I used to just put in the disk, select reset password and go. Has something changed? Thanks, Jim

OS X 10.5.4
iMac Intel 20"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.