• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

virus software?

Reaction score
another noob question, but I've just got my macbook and have already started using the internet on it, do I need to get any anti - virus software? or does it come equipped and surely no one would make viruses for macs anyway??

thanks for any advice..

Reaction score
Well, at this time you are probably fairly safe as far as the mac is concerned, but if you are in a lan with pc's you could pick up a virus and pass it on to them. It's not that there aren't any for the mac, but they are rare and you usually would have to help them along by giving permission for them to actually do anything to the mac.

As more and more start using a mac, then the chances are greater that someone will go to the bother of writing virus for them, but at this time the only real danger is passing a virus on to a pc. Mostly just use a little common sense and don't give permission for things to pop up and ask for your password to do things without thinking it over first.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cheers James, very helpful.. and means I dont have to do anything, so its a win, win situation!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
There are no eminent virus threats for OS X at the moment. However it a good practice to activate the built-in firewall and use an antivirus software if possible. Here are some of the well know Apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
another noob question, but I've just got my macbook and have already started using the internet on it, do I need to get any anti - virus software? or does it come equipped and surely no one would make viruses for macs anyway??

thanks for any advice..

Do a search on "virus" or "virus software" there are tons of topics that already cover your question..

long story short, there is no need for virus software because there are none out there for mac. mac has a built-in firewall on the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.