Pllease help with display problems on new iMac

Reaction score
Hi. Ever since I received my new iMac and started using it, I've felt that it always had a bleached out look on the display. I've felt that the colors were wrong.

This feeling was confirmed when I complained at a message board that I could not read their font because their font was yellow on a white background. All the responders said that the font was yellow on a gray background. Using my computer at work, it is yellow on gray, not yellow on white.

Is there anything I can do when I go to system preferences to correct this? Can you be specific regarding what I should do? To tell you the truth I think my brand new computer is defective.

M

MatZeRO

OK, goto system preferences, click display, then click the color tab at the top.
Make sure that iMac is selected in the left menu and see if this helps.

If not, call APPLE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Edited, as I posted an answer to the wrong question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I've discovered the problem. I had the contrast turned up which bleached the colors. Also, I chose the "Adobe RGB 1998" option, instead of the "iMac" option. Will that hurt the computer?

M

MacHeadCase

No, it won't.

In fact you can even calibrate the screen to your liking by using Apple's ColorSync. It's very easy, you will be guided through the whole process and instead of using the generic iMac monitor profile, you'll have your very own.

You can find ColorSync here: Macintosh HD ---> Applications ---> Utilities

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.