contemplateing the switch

G

grinder143

i am new to this and am thinking of switching to the mac . i dont really know if you can use it for my needs. no gameing , except cards and such, ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup. it is not the decideing factor as i have 3 other pc on a network. i am just tired of the endless maintance and freezeing, but then i am sure you know the problems . can all of this be accomplished on the mac os.thanks i really need the help since i know very little about macs.i also would need to know how much processing power if you would need duel core .memory , i guess how much is enough,rarely do we have more than a couple of programs or apps running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Yes a lot of what you want is already built into OS X. Check out Roxio.com for other software you can use for Ripping/Burning DVDs such as Popcorn & Toast. :)

I must highly suggest though that you get out to an Apple store or authorized retailer and at least play around with a Mac first before you decide to take the plunge.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
i am new to this and am thinking of switching to the mac . i dont really know if you can use it for my needs. no gameing , except cards and such, ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup. it is not the decideing factor as i have 3 other pc on a network. i am just tired of the endless maintance and freezeing, but then i am sure you know the problems . can all of this be accomplished on the mac os.thanks i really need the help since i know very little about macs.i also would need to know how much processing power if you would need duel core .memory , i guess how much is enough,rarely do we have more than a couple of programs or apps running

The only thing i see that you have said that you may have issues with on mac are the games.. PC offers a huge variety of games. Mac does not.. everything else you talk about can be done with mac easier and faster with a mac.

"ripping cds that i own , makeing backup copies of dvds that i own for my children to use , so as not to ruin the original. photo editing, slideshows to music movies from tha camcorder internet. i believe all of this is possiable . except perhapes the ripping of dvd and copy to dvd for a backup."

all of that can be done with no issues.

Reaction score
The only thing i see that you have said that you may have issues with on mac are the games.. PC offers a huge variety of games. Mac does not.

Assuming you buy an Intel-powered Mac, you can run Boot Camp (which is free from Apple) for your PC games no problem. I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 on my MBP and it looks great ... much better than it did on my HP 1.66GHz Core Duo which had 512Mb of video RAM on a NVIDIA mobile card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Assuming you buy an Intel-powered Mac, you can run Boot Camp (which is free from Apple) for your PC games no problem. I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 on my MBP and it looks great ... much better than it did on my HP 1.66GHz Core Duo which had 512Mb of video RAM on a NVIDIA mobile card.

very true! But personaly you could not pay me enough money to boot windows on my mac. (if i had intel mac)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.