Looking for opinions

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am considering buying a MacBook Pro, but can't decide if it would be better to wait until Leopard comes out. This is my first mac... previously a pc guy. I'm thinking of using Boot Camp to dual boot Vista also. I have a few questions:

1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out.

2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out?

Thanks,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out.
Its hard to say. Hardware is constantly being improved and updated. It is only natural to assume that by the time Leopard finally releases that a hardware update wouldn't be far off if it hasn't happened by then.

2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out?
No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Leopard is reputed to be coming out in January. At this point, I would be inclined to wait the month or so and see, unless you really want that new Mac now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Leopard is reputed to be coming out in January. At this point, I would be inclined to wait the month or so and see, unless you really want that new Mac now.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that it was coming out in the Spring.

But if it's coming out in January, man, do I feel stupid for buying my Macbook a month before its release :(

Reaction score
MacWorld's only a few weeks away; wait to see what if anything is announced there. If Leopard's not launched and is still a few months away, buy your Mac in January.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I'll wait a little while and see what happens.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I was in the same boat but I just couldn't wait. Compared to what I paid for the Macbook Pro the OS is peanuts so I'll upgrade whether it comes out sooner or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
1. Would there be any advantages as far as hardware goes to wait until Leopard comes out. IMO, yes. I believe the 800mhz FSB C2D chipsets will be available either at launch or around that time.

2. If I purchased now, would I be able to get a discount on Leopard when it comes out? Unlikely, unless you negotiate it ahead of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If the new systems come out with A2DP Bluetooth, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I asked the tech guy at the Apple store about it, and he said Apple has no plans to add the technology. I tend to believe him as it makes sense business-wise (take away from Ipod sales)

Hopefully my university will have the super-cheap-practically-free student license version of Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.