Still the same interenet.....

M

MacIgnorant

(im about to buy a macbook)i know its still the same internet and all but what program is it run through and can you still download AIM? or does it work some other way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
umm if i understand you correctly you are talking about an internet browser.
in that case. your macbook will ship with Safari, but if you dont like that you could download; Camino, The Shiira Project, Opera, or even Firefox.

and as for AIM, yes there is a Mac version. Also there is iChat, which is built into Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Adium X is also a great alternative to both of those.

:mac:
davis

Reaction score
when i first got my macbook all set up the day i got it, the first thing i downloaded was AIM for MAC, but that crashed and i could only stay online for 2 or 3 minutes and it would crash everytime, now i use Adium X and it is by far the best instant messenger i have ever used. there are no ad's or annoying sidebars. its just your buddy list!
i highly recommend getting adium x and it is very customizable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Use iCHAT!!! its easy, and you dont have to download anything extra...plus you can have multiple windows of ichat open for multiple screen names. but if you want something for aim....dont get the aol verson. get a program called FIRE.
You can run AIM, YAHOO, ICQ, and MSN all at the same time on one list....kinda like trillian pro for Windows.

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Doesn't iChat only come with .Mac which is a monthly fee?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD
Am I missing something? Doesn't iChat only come with .Mac which is a monthly fee?

Umm. Yeah. iChat is an app that is built into OS X. You can use it with .Mac or AIM. Go to Prefrences (Command+,) and add an account (Plus sign on the bottom left hand corner) and at the top, choose AIM Account, instead of .Mac

:mac:
davis

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i thought you could use aim accounts on iChat as well? maybe i'm wrong.
[edit] ok then, DavisCollins got it! [/edit]

thirding the support for adium! great program.

and if you were talking about web browsers, just try safari for a while, i think it's pretty good. i used firefox and opera on my own windows machine before i switched, and i see no appreciable difference between using safari or firefox..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Nope. IChat supports both AIM and .Mac and Bonjour. If you are only going to run AIM, I would suggest trying ichat first. Adium is an excellent multi chat client though. Very good program.

Reaction score
I was told you can't use MSN messenger on a mac. I think you can use skype if you want to chat with your PC friends still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
If you really want to use messenger it can be installed from the Office 2004 for Mac discs, as well as Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Entourage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread...

You can use MSN messenger on a Mac.

iChat is a multi-chat client that comes pre-installed on all Macs.

It can chat via AIM, Jabber, Bonjour, and .Mac.

Adium can do a lot more, but you must download it.

It is not necessary to download AOL's version of Instant Messenger. Just use iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I heard iChat unexpectedly closes AIM all the time, but so far I haven't had a problem. Anyone else had a problem like that??

Do you really think the Internets (G. W. Bush) are all the same?!?

It won't be if AT&Y and Bellouth merge and grant bandwitdh favor to websites they prefer.

Reaction score
www.Adiumx.com

You can use it to chat via

- MSN
- Yahoo
- AIM
- Google Talk
- Jabber
and I'm definitely missing one or two here... So that said, you can use all common protocols on a mac. When it comes to video conferencing though, it's a different story: Only iChat can do that without problems*.

* by "problems" I refer to complex and non-intuitive procedures which are to tedious to go into unless utterly necessary. Google for more on using your iSight with MSN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.