Complete this sentence: I would buy an iPhone if...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
What are your requirements? Here's mine:

-it has speakerphone
-it has Bluetooth
-it has a good battery life
-it is more scratch-resistant than an iPod
-it has a dock
-it is either a flip or a slider (preferably slider!)
-has both a scrollwheel and a keypad
-Verizon carries it
-it has buttons an adult can press (i.e. non-microscopic)
-it has a great GUI

Inspired by this Engadget post. I currently have a Motorola v710 and I love it - sounds great, buttons are big and easy to push, has Bluetooth, and has speakerphone. I am also a big Verizon fan; they have excellent reception in my area. I don't think those requirements are too far out of line with Apple; they usually do good work and include a fair number of features in their machines. My "new ever 2" year plan is coming up early next year, so I would definitely be interested in an Apple iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can probably guarantee Verizon won't carry it since I'm predicting it will be a GSM phone.

Here's my rationale why:
- GSM gives it a wider reach internationally.
- GSM lets Apple sell the phone unlocked and without needing to partner up with an existing carrier.
- In the US, GSM opens up markets with Cingular, T-Mobile, and Alltel on the national level.
- Verizon has a music service and tends to cripple the OS of all their phones...Apple won't allow that.

Besides, all the current rumors seem to point to the fact that even IF Apple partners with a carrier, it will most likely be T-Mobile.

With all that being said, I think your list is great. Add a killer, easy to use UI and I'd go for it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I can probably guarantee Verizon won't carry it since I'm predicting it will be a GSM phone.

Here's my rationale why:
- GSM gives it a wider reach internationally.
- GSM lets Apple sell the phone unlocked and without needing to partner up with an existing carrier.
- In the US, GSM opens up markets with Cingular, T-Mobile, and Alltel on the national level.
- Verizon has a music service and tends to cripple the OS of all their phones...Apple won't allow that.

Besides, all the current rumors seem to point to the fact that even IF Apple partners with a carrier, it will most likely be T-Mobile.

With all that being said, I think your list is great. Add a killer, easy to use UI and I'd go for it.

Ooh, I totally forgot about the GUI, that was high on my list too - added! I haven't met a cell phone UI that I've liked yet, but my v710 has a semi-decent one compared to the other ones I've tried. I think Apple could really make a hit in the cell phone market. I hope Kevin Rose is right about CDMA though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I think they'll do CDMA eventually, but I would think GSM will be first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
Im hoping it will be 3G. We have had 3G for years here in the UK, and I would never switch back to GSM now. We are just starting to get HSDPA aswell so if apple make it GSM I will be very dissapointed and it will be a step back technology wise for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might support 3G, but it will definitely be GSM. The US is Apple's market and unfortunately, we're no where near as advanced as Europe in the mobile market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Snow. 500 MHz DV Special Edition OS X.3.9 640 RAM 130GB
-Cingular has it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-Cingular has it.

And your reference is?

Considering Cingular just opened their own music store, I would be very surprised. It could happen, but I'd be surprised.

Reaction score
-my Slvr breaks
-I can buy it outright for under $250
-It has Java application support
-It has all the features of my Slvr and then some

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i would love a almost exact copy of ical, address book, and mail

I would also like some really innovative way to text message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I would buy it if...

NO ITUNES (I have an ipod, need a good phone the two can never meet)
GSM
syncs with ical and address nicely
Great GUI
3G (not deal breaker, in canada data costs your first born)
Decide voice memo
touch screen
slider
pda would be nice
finish matches black mac book (all my portable gadgets have to match)

Hey, kaidomac, you like the V710 why (PM me I'm not being rude) just got one from one of my jobs and so far I hate it, what am I missing.

daryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I would buy it if...

NO ITUNES (I have an ipod, need a good phone the two can never meet)
slim to no chance that they dont include iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
slim to no chance that they dont include iTunes

Your write about that. For what ever reason the market wants music in phones, rather than a phone.

But it is all moot, I really don't think there is a chance in heck that apple will release a phone.

daryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
- If it doesn't have a joystick (Sony Ericsson make great phones, but the joysticks always start playing up after 14 months)

- If I can get it with an eplus contract for €150,- or less

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your write about that. For what ever reason the market wants music in phones, rather than a phone.

But it is all moot, I really don't think there is a chance in heck that apple will release a phone. l
I'm with you on that one. This rumor has been going on for almost 6 years now. Apple has tried its hand in peripherals and devices other than computers plenty of times in the past. So far (with the exception of the iPod) they have all flopped.
The market is flooded with phones and there are plenty of big league players out there already (Motorla, Sony/Ericsson, LG, Nokia, etc). Apple would have one heck of an uphill climb before the concept of releasing a phone would be anywhere near profitable for them. It is no different than the companies that try to release MP3 players... they all get crushed by the iPod.
It is true that most people don't really want a "phone" per se anyway. What they do want is:

"real music" ringtones, games, walkie-talkie, internet access, GPS, email, instant messaging, MP3 players, video playback...etc., etc., etc.

The last thing that most people want from a mobile phone these days is something to make a decent phone call with. It seems that many just want some gadget that will do anyting and everything possible so they can "impress" people with it.
I mean, that one commercial on TV right now has the two guys getting offended when some chick calls their phone a "phone".

The more likely concept IMO would be that Apple starts expanding their iTunes service to certain phones/carriers and not actually releasing a phone of their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an interesting article from AppleInsider on the iPhone:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2285

AI usually has good info and it's being provided by a Prudential analyst so I bet it's reliable.

Seems Apple's working on 2 phones. Both will be limited to GSM/WCDMA (not the same as CDMA) which will limit use to T-Mo or Cingular in the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
- supports A2DP BT 2.0 (since my MBP doens't, I doubt the phone will)
- unlimited Itunes music (since my SLVR has a 100 song limit ;) I'm sure this will also.
- HSDPA/UMTS capability
- A keypad that doesn't require a stylus ( based on the pics I saw on Cnet Crave, the keys are about the width of a nickel!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
On the flip side, I hope it doesn't try to have a QWERTY keypad, that it isn't too thick (knowing Apple, it won't be) and is simply a music phone, rather than an all-in-one contraption that has a bunch of stuff that really doesn't work well so you don't use it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you on that one... <snip>
It is true that most people don't really want a "phone" per se anyway. What they do want is:

"real music" ringtones, games, walkie-talkie, internet access, GPS, email, instant messaging, MP3 players, video playback...etc., etc., etc.

The last thing that most people want from a mobile phone these days is something to make a decent phone call with. It seems that many just want some gadget that will do anyting and everything possible so they can "impress" people with it.
I mean, that one commercial on TV right now has the two guys getting offended when some chick calls their phone a "phone".

The more likely concept IMO would be that Apple starts expanding their iTunes service to certain phones/carriers and not actually releasing a phone of their own.

I don't know if I agree that this is what most people want. It is what the market is offering. A phone has one stream of income for the carrier, the voice minutes. These all in one, make your lunch, get you a pretty girlfriend, devices have multiple streams, ringtones, data, graphics, and on and on.

The sad part is that if you want a phone that is slim and not too bad looking plus bluetooth and decent call management features, you also have to get everything else. Anything that is just a phone doesn't have bluetooth and is usually ugly.

Now, if apple did create a phone. (I stand by my statement that they won't)
5 more things I want.

Motorala's voice dial feature (it just works, everytime)
flip, slider and candybar style to choose.
Black with white accents (and reverse)
Total freedom around themes and desktop (think sony)
Steve's personal number pre programed so I can call him and tell him what he should be doing.

Aptmunich - If it doesn't have a joystick (Sony Ericsson make great phones, but the joysticks always start playing up after 14 months)

- If I can get it with an eplus contract for €150,- or less

I've never seen a phone older than a year wow.

daryl

Reaction score
My carrier - Sprint - picks it up and......if......the phone looks good, works good and meets my simple needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.