Dual Booting windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Im getting a second hand mac but cant afford an intel mac. Is there anyway i can run both OSX and windows on a non intel mac? like the g5 power macs before the intels came out?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Im getting a second hand mac but cant afford an intel mac. Is there anyway i can run both OSX and windows on a non intel mac? like the g5 power macs before the intels came out?

thanks

Yes, it's called Virtual PC for Mac, by good old Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

Be warned! You won't be playing Quake 4 or in fact anything much using that, as it is very slow - but for word processing, excel, browsing etc it should be fine. But of course you could do all that natively on OS X.

What are you planning to use it for?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
i need to run windows for 3D Studio Max

M

MacHeadCase

I believe you won't be able to do this. First of all 3D is one of the most intensive demanding work on a computer along with video work, etc. I would be much surprised if VirtualPC gave you enough horse power for this. 3D is not supported by VirtualPC.

I remember there were a few cool point-and-click 3D adventure games like Syberia and Syberia 2 we wanted to play but they were PC-only and we investigated the possibility of playing those games using VirtualPC and it just wasn't possible. We were told VirtualPC did not support 3D and it was too slow on top of that. Remember this is emulation, not a real OS running alongside your Mac OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Good luck on that. You'd be better off buyinng a cheap PC if you really need that program. Virtual PC is garbage. You'll be waiting more than working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, you'd be better off with an intel mac mini than a powermac G5 for running 3D Studio Max.

PowerPC is a completely different type of processor, so VirtualPC spends a lot of CPU cycles just emulating the different processor type.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help. intel mac it is then :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.