• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who's geekier; Mac or Windows users??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This is in general, of course, so you can tihnk of Mac people and not include your cool-self.

No disrespect, but I tend to think it's the Mac crowd. Mostly because Windows is, not necessarily for, but adopted by the masses; geeky or not. Whereas Macs seem to be "discovered" by more intelligent people who realize it for it's benefits.

Which is kind of ironic since Macs are considered more user-firendly and easy to operate!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both! I am serious. Seen geeks on both sides of the fence.

So many of the windows XP users I work with are so bad they basically open the door and invite SpyWare and Virus's in! More $$$ for me I guess but still it amazes me how careless some are and of course they blame it all on Bill Gates when really it's mostly their fault! Geeks are on all sides of the fence.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in sheer number - windows (due mainly to proliferation).

in proportion - not sure, it's probably close, and perhaps geeky in different ways. i think the windows geeks are more typically "computer geeks" into overclocking and liquid cooling and such. i'd guess more mac geeks are different kinds of geeks (tech, music, art, theatre, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Cool kids run OS X

Reaction score
I think the "I'm a Mac...I'm a PC..." commercials say it all. Window users are "geeky" and mac users do cool things like photos, movies, music, blogging, etc. As opposed to charts, presentations, etc. Although we all know we can do those things too if forced to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The real geek OS is GNU/Linux or perhaps even just Unix. I honestly think Macs attract people who just want to get thing done, low maintenance, whereas Windows occasionally needs a little bit more fiddling, which some people like.

OS X is like that sealed German V6 engine. It just looks after itself, with the odd update from the garage. Windows is like an old 1970's flat 6, that you can take apart and get your hands mucky. I guess that means GNU/Linux is like that rusty gearbox you left in the yard... :eek:

...just kidding - I enjoyed my time on SuSE and Ubuntu... mostly... :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
windows pc and mac users i would say are both geeks alike - only we mac geks are cooler, our kit looks more stylish :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the negative feedback on my post in this thread, with the narrative 'junk'. Shame you didn't actually have any feedback to give.

If it was because of the Linux jab, you're picking on the wrong person. I have used GNU/Linux for over ten years - where's your sense of humour? Geek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
if that was aimed at me zoolook, then i wast even referring to your post, just responding to thread title - don't be so jumpy, lighten up :)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zooloock, nice analogy and nicely said on both comments. You can definitely equate Windows machines as being for the "tuners and tweakers" but in my expereince around those people, they're not very geeky at all.

Now let me rephrase the original question: Who is generally smarter; Mac or Win users?

Of course this all has to be porportional since the number of user variance is so wide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if that was aimed at me zoolook, then i wast even referring to your post, just responding to thread title - don't be so jumpy, lighten up :)

It was aimed at the person who left me feedback on my profile - which I think was quite clear

Thanks for the negative feedback on my post in this thread, with the narrative 'junk'.

It wasn't aimed at you - can I lighten up now and stop being jumpy? :bushman:

BTW, how's Sunderland? It's been 14 years since I was there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Zooloock, nice analogy and nicely said on both comments. You can definitely equate Windows machines as being for the "tuners and tweakers" but in my expereince around those people, they're not very geeky at all.

Now let me rephrase the original question: Who is generally smarter; Mac or Win users?

Of course this all has to be porportional since the number of user variance is so wide.

In my experience there isn't much a of a difference between the two groups-- probably a standard distribution of each group that would reflect the same characteristics as the population as a whole. In other words, I'd say both are pretty much equal.

And if anyone thinks that one group is smarter/more creative/cooler than the other, just realize, that while a statistic about a particular group can be valid, just because you are part of that group doesn't mean that you necessarily possess those characteristics. So if Mac users are smarter and more creative on the average, it doesn't mean that you are. ;)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said, Dan. Good thing I know that I'm smarter/more creative/cooler. :) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
This could go either way. Worlds of Warcraft has been released for both...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
This could go either way. Worlds of Warcraft has been released for both...

^lol.

like most people are saying, its a different kind of geekyness)i don't think thats a word). PC geeks are like erkle, with the shirt tucked in, the pants bulled all the way up to your belly button, and wearing coke bottle glasses playing Dungeons and dragons and runescape. and mac users are more the artistic people who edit videos and have trillions of photos. So pretty much what the mac commercials show.

I consider my self a computer nerd, i absolutly love computers, and i use my Mac all the time. but i don't play the "nerdy" games like runescap, and WoW. and i don't do the stuff most people would classify as "Nerdy" or "geeky"

I think both PC and Mac users are geeks, but in different ways. No one group is more nerdy or geeky then the other.

whew, that was alot of typing. i don't even understand what i wrote, so ya :ninja:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the negative feedback on my post in this thread, with the narrative 'junk'.

that's a shame. i find it weird when people leave negative feedback over petty opinions. especially wrong when its directed toward someone like zoolook who is normally super-helpful and light-hearted.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's a shame. i find it weird when people leave negative feedback over petty opinions. especially wrong when its directed toward someone like zoolook who is normally super-helpful and light-hearted.

I'll second that. I gave him a + for what he said and to balance the -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was aimed at the person who left me feedback on my profile - which I think was quite clear

It wasn't aimed at you - can I lighten up now and stop being jumpy? :bushman:

BTW, how's Sunderland? It's been 14 years since I was there!

haha, ok, i obviously hadn't read into that meaning your rep - i thought it was sarcasm, never mind me :bomb:

Suunderland is, well in my opinion not very good - and i'm putting that politely and i think that's mainly because i've been here too long

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
excellent! seems like i got negative feedback for my sticking up for zoolook - looks like we've got someone here with a chip on their shoulder. the only comment was "lame", and of course, no ownership [brave!].

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.