Reason, Garageband, & Pro Tools

D

degame10

I recently got me an Mac iBook G4 this is my first time using Mac. I'm a PC wizard. On my PC for my music I used Reason and Pro Tools. I don't know anything about Garageband. My question is: Are Garageband, Reason, and Pro tools compatible? Can I install those on my MAC? The verison I have is for either Mac users or PC users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
TBH, chap, I'd steer well clear of Pro Tools. You're using a Mac; get Logic Pro! Garage Band is the 'most basic basic' recording option that Apple offers (hence the free nature when you buy a machine!). It is, however, still a perfectly viable scratch pad for ideas when you're on the go! The instruments that are built in are quite nice; some of the synths are really bloody good. Also, they can be accesed in Logic & Logic Pro.

Reason. I've never tried to use Reason with Pro Tools (in all honesty, I've never really bothered with PT. Tried to use it for a couple of projects during Uni and never got to grips with it, so moved straight back to Logic! God, that was a long tangent...) but I know that it run seamlessly with Logic Pro. I use a *ehem* cracked copy at the moment, primarily for the ReDrum and Malstrom, and they sync up quite happiy via ReWire - the looping doesn't work quite so well, but overall it does work just lovely; I'm sure a legit copy would work 101%.

I would seriously consider a copy of Logic Pro. It's £500+, but you get EVERYTHING that you can do with Reason, Garage Band (you can import GB project files in), and Pro Tools. All of the Core Audio instruments are fabulous; there's even a ReDrum-style drum machine!

Check it - Logic Pro

OP
D

degame10

Reason and Garage band

The reason I asked about Pro Tools and Reason because I was using it on my PC and now I gave my mom the PC and I bought a MAC and I didn't know if reason would work with this. I have a lot instruments for reason and samples I got about 4 disk for Reason. I can really create some tight beats with Reason because I really don't know how to work Garageband yet. Is it okay to use Reason and can handle not using Pro Tools?

Reaction score
I have Reason 2.0 installed on my Mac and it works great, I have also installed the same copy on a PC, I believe Reason is totally cross platform compatible. Also, GarageBand is a ReWire compatible program. I have set up beats and synth beds in Reason and then had GarageBand act as the master in a ReWire connection. So the beats and synth beds coming from Reason play through GarageBand, and I then added guitar, bass, vocals, etc. over the top. It is a great combination. Then move up to Logic when you outgrow GarageBand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.