Printer Problems

Reaction score
I just got my new MBP and so far I love it. One problem however is that I cannot print. I went through all of the steps (downloaded OS X driver from printer CD, followed directions ect...) and it says that the printer is connected and it even says printing but nothing ever actually prints. The printer is an HP Deskjet 6840 and it is wired into my wireless router. I had it working this way with my other Dell laptop just fine. I could walk around the house and print. I do not know what the problem is. And btw I tried printing on my desktop and that worked just fine, so it is not the printer.
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Connor

Reaction score
If you have added the printer to your Windows computers (assuming that is what you meant when you referred to the desktop) then I would suggest creating a Workgroup and adding the Mac to that Windows workgroup. I have found this to be the easiest way of adding Windows printers via share to my Mac.

Here is a link you might find helpful in accomplishing this: It is very simple to add a Mac to a Windows workgroup--and this would allow you to connect to the printer very easily. Here is a link to help you out if you choose to go that route:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...5-6103719.html

On a side note: do you know if the router gives the printer a static IP address? If so, you could simply take the IP address of the printer and add it manually in printer setup.

Best of luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
If you have added the printer to your Windows computers (assuming that is what you meant when you referred to the desktop) then I would suggest creating a Workgroup and adding the Mac to that Windows workgroup. I have found this to be the easiest way of adding Windows printers via share to my Mac.

Here is a link you might find helpful in accomplishing this: It is very simple to add a Mac to a Windows workgroup--and this would allow you to connect to the printer very easily. Here is a link to help you out if you choose to go that route:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...5-6103719.html

On a side note: do you know if the router gives the printer a static IP address? If so, you could simply take the IP address of the printer and add it manually in printer setup.

Best of luck!

Yes, when I said desktop i did mean windows. I suppose I should have been more specific. I will look into the workgroup solution however I am getting rid of my windows soon, so I do not think that is the way to go. I think the router does assign static IP addresses, I will make sure tomarrow. Thank you very much I will try it all ASAP.
Connor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.