too many songs!

B

buhddy

I am running out of room on my hard drive. I have over 30 gig of music in my library. I copied it to an external drive, but itunes wants me to relink it to the song lists song by song. With this much music, it would take forever. What am I doing wrong? Surey I can have an external drive for all my music and keep my internal drive open for work stuff.

Of course, I also deleted the music off the internal drive, so lets just assume I am starting over.

Now what?

OP
S

SogniX

If you already deleted the local files, then in iTunes, go to Prefs / Advanced and unclick "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", then with a blank library, drag the folder your music is on from the external drive into iTunes.

If you haven't already done this, make sure you want to do that - it's going to reset all your settings (Ratings, Play Count, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lookin your preferences in itunes. you will find what you need there.

OP
B

buhddy

itunes and external drives

Sogni said:
If you already deleted the local files, then in iTunes, go to Prefs / Advanced and unclick "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", then with a blank library, drag the folder your music is on from the external drive into iTunes.

If you haven't already done this, make sure you want to do that - it's going to reset all your settings (Ratings, Play Count, etc.)

I got it restored by bringing the music back onto my internal drive, but now I don't have any room on it.

Is there a way to do what I was trying to do originally, keep my music on a separate drive from the Itunes app?

Itunes would play the songs, once I linked them. Is there a shortcut for copying all my music over and maintain my library settings?

I guess that's really my question in the first place. Sorry for not being more clear.

OP
D

dollerbill

Copy all of your music to the external drive.
Go into iTunes, and delete all of the music from your library( if you try to play it, itunes will ask where the file is) So just delete them from itunes
Go to where the music is on your external drive, highlight all the music, and then open them (cmd-o) This will do a mass opening of all your music from the external drive so itunes will now know to look there

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.