Black Friday newbie

Reaction score
Hello! Just wanted to check in as a new user in the Mac world.

I gave up the tethers of a Win XP desktop for a Black Friday wireless laptop a couple of years ago, and have really enjoyed the freedom that comes with it - even just lounging around the house. However, I'd been getting tired of the constant updating, security issues, etc. that seem to plague the Win platform.

Last Summer, I dual-booted the aforementioned 15" Toshiba with SLED 10 Linux and had a mess around with that. There were a lot of things that I liked about it, but the learning curve looked to be quite steep for a newbie - not that it wouldn't be worth it over the long haul, mind you. But, as I could never find a way to sync my Treo 650, I turned towards the Apple arena.

Anyway, with the BF sales upon us, and as my ex-wife's laptop recently (and conveniently) gave up the ghost (same Toshiba model as mine), I took this opportunity to let her have mine for a song so that I could put the cash towards something from Cupertino.

I read all of the reviews, and did a lot of research here (congrats on an excellent site and membership, BTW) then drove the 2+ hours to the Apple Store in Charlotte, NC last Friday. I spent about 3 hours inside asking questions and getting short tutorials from the helpers, and generally playing around on the white MacBook and 17" iMac. If my budget would've extended to the MB Pro, I'd have been out of there sooner, but alas, 'twas not to be.

One thing that I want to say here, is that nothing prepares you for just how gorgeous these Macs actually look in the flesh (especially the white ones): functional home-interior sculpture, is how I would put it.

While I truly loved the tricked-out 17" iMac with it's large screen, I just couldn't pull the trigger and consign myself to more time behind a desk - 40 hours a week is enough! So, I plumped for the mid-range MacBook. I was going to get the base model and afterwards upgrade the RAM to 2GB, but I thought that the faster CPU, bigger HD, and DVD burner were worth the extra cash. Also, there was $101 off all Macs that day so it wasn't too bad, and I got to take my purchases straight home with me - although I gave 75% of the savings back in NC sales tax :(

So, here I am at home writing to you on my new MacBook from the comfort of my comfy, soft sofa. Niiiiiiiiiiice! Like others here have said before me, this notebook was an absolute breeze to set up, and I was wirelessly online within 15 minutes of powering on. Oh, and as my ex- took our colour laser printer with her, I also bought the 'matching' HP C3180 all-in-one at the Apple Store for $99.95 w/$100 MIR, so I got a free printer too!

Right now, I'm not experiencing any switcher-shock at all. The Mac seems to be really easy and intuitive to use, and I haven't run into anything that couldn't be done. I think that this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Thanks for listening,
Nigel

OP
parkinni
Reaction score
Thanks, Marty, nice to be here.

Only had my Mac for a day, and I'm already happy that I switched. Just spent the last 4 hours sorting out one of my step-kid's Win XP crashes. The boot.ini file was corrupt/missing and I had to eventually reinstall the OS. That's OK, as it's only used for games, email, internet. However, after I reinstalled the software for the USB wireless adapter, I couldn't get it to connect to the router at all. The router is identical to mine (NetGear) but the adapter is a Belkin (POS, IMHO) and I've had trouble with it before. Their website is no help, and it's like the online manual is for a different product. I'm no novice, but in the end I gave up and came home. I'll contact Belkin about it tomorrow.

Anyhow, it really made me appreciate how easy my MacBook was to connect wirelessly yesterday. It saw my network automatically, knew that it was encrypted, and after I entered the key, I was online. Amazing! Now, why can't MS make XP do that???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
First off, WELCOME to the wonderful world of Mac. My father was a teacher for 35 years and he brought me up on macs/apples and I have yet to have a issue with one.. They are bullet proof and a breeze to work with. You will not be disapointed in your purchase. I have used Mac/apple computers for the last 20 years and I still have yet to have an issue.

You get what you pay for!

good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
cute cat by the way.. is it yours? I have 3 cats and quite a few other pets.. I have quite the zoo actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that post is way too long to read, i assume you got a new mac so congratulations!!!!!!!

-chris

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I just want to offer you my congratulatons. I know that you won't be sorry you switched.

OP
parkinni
Reaction score
cute cat by the way.. is it yours? I have 3 cats and quite a few other pets.. I have quite the zoo actually.
Me too! The cat in my avatar is named Karma (or Mo, as I call her). I adopted her and her son Harper (Po) about 5 years ago from a friend who couldn't keep them any longer. Both indoor/outdoor cats when I got them. Harper was very sweet, but was hit and killed by an SUV right outside my house back in March (still miss him!).

I also have two dogs: a female black Lab called Tippi, and a male Golden Retriever named Biscuit, both from the pound here in town. They will play fetch until they wear you out.....or they go into cardiac arrest!

I have a few pics of the cats on my work PC, so here they are......

Care to share your zoo?

Karma.jpg

Po.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.