Your Redesign Wish List

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Next year Mac-Forums.com will be getting a facelift. We'd like to hear from you what you'd like see; not only what you want new but what would you really like to keep working the way it is?

While we can't promise to implement every suggestion, your ideas and wishes will help us prioritize what we need to do.

Post away! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd like new smileys...

The current ones all look a bit odd:
Red-faced rabbi with white contacts? :)
Insanely happy quicktime-monocle wearing lord? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I definitely would like to see the home page back.

M

MacHeadCase

If I may...

For my tastes, the smilies definitely need to be changed. I usually like using smilies because they add to a post, I find but I never know which one to use in these boards, they really don't express any emotion I am trying to send out in my posts for sure.

Maybe a new skin?

The sub-forums seem to be great though, well organized and all that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
And if you'd like to send your redesign thoughts and ideas, but don't want to post them for all to see, by all means please feel free to send me a private message on the board. Of all our properties, Mac-Forums will likely be the first site we do a complete refresh of, in the first part of 2007.

Thanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
agree on the smilies.

also, perhaps a more 'apple'-like color scheme? the red just seems to scream - i'm not a work website - uh, that is, when i'm at work :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I agree with the above posters the smilies in my opinion need a change. Also the animated sigs and avatars are not working.. It would be nice if that got fixed..

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
A glossy interface would be nice, but I really have been comfortable with the current site theme/design. I like that the current emoticons aren't 2-D and cheesy looking (flat and bland). It'd be nice, if they do end up being replaced, that they still have that 3-D look to it. And I think the most important for me is, no brushed metal. Yikes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
New logo anyone?

Not that there's anything wrong with the current one, but it kind of reminds me of apple's old school garamond font...

Perhaps we need to update to something more myriad and web 2.0 like? :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
here's something else...

when you go to the "who's online" quick link, you get a little "refresh page" link at the top.

can we get that at the top of the "today's posts" as well?
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
lets see...

I agree on the smiles, perhaps even some mac-themed ones would look nice also. I think it would also be great if you could increase PM box space. Some other forums I visit give members 150 messages box spaces. Message space doesn't take up a lot of room, its all text only format. It doesn't need to be 150 messages, but maybe 100 would work? Also maybe a 100 post minimum for posting in the marketplace would be useful also.

Some thing I think should stay the same is the rep system, and the "list your mac specs" on each post.. It makes this forum unique.

Reaction score
How about a better icons (better in easier to see and understand) for the "new posts", "no new posts"...etc.

Especially the one for "you have posted in this thread"...these are a bit odd and hard to see and understand!

The smiles... yeah they need help.
pound.gif

Basically this is a great site and a lot of changes aren't necessary. Personally I like it a lot.

M

MacHeadCase

I'm Queen Typo I here and I would love to have just a leetle bit more time to edit my typos and edit my weird French-syntax-transposed-into-English in my posts without showing the Edited by MacHeadCase...

I always feel it makes me look like an idiot. And we all know Queen Typo I simply cannot be an idiot.
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Make it so the first few times a person hits "Post New Topic" they experience a small/quick pop-up dialog that says:

"Have you searched the forums,
for the topic on which you are posting?
<Yes> <No>
click here to search”

The ‘Yes’ would take them to post, and the ‘No’ would take them to the search page. And of course the “click here to search” would also link them to search.
This way they could become familiar with search. And ease repeat posting, and redirecting.

:yinyang:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.