• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Uploading to You Tube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
It has been suggested to me that I submit some stuff to You Tube.

How do I do it?

It's not something I want to do from an internet cafe if it will take a long time - (My projects are between 5 and 45 mins in duration) but I will have a 'home' with internet connection next week.

While we're at it, would it be possible to take an intensive course to learn Final Cut Pro/Photoshop?

...In Bangkok?

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I've done that, what next mate?

(I won't be doing this today by the way, but I'll refer back to this trusty forum in a couple of weeks when I'll set it all up.)

Reaction score
Have you had your account email address verified? Once this is done you can upload videos to the YouTube site.

This comes from the video upload section:

Uploads will usually take 1-5 minutes per MB on a high-speed connection.
Converting your video takes a few minutes; you can add more info or upload more videos while it's processing.
Videos are limited to 10 minutes (unless you're a Director) and 100 MB.
Videos saved with the following settings convert the best:
MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
320x240 resolution
MP3 audio
30 frames per second framerate

Do not upload copyrighted material for which you don't own the rights or have permission from the owner.

Do not upload any TV shows, music videos, music concerts, or commercials without permission unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself.

Video Upload (Step 2 of 2)
File:

Max file size: 100 MB. Max length: 10 minutes.

Do not upload copyrighted, obscene or any other material which violates YouTube's Terms of Use.

PLEASE BE PATIENT—THIS MAY TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES.
ONCE COMPLETED, YOU WILL SEE A CONFIRMATION MESSAGE.

Start uploading cameronryan!

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Ok, finally ready to go... Only thing stopping me is my movie is 21 minutes in duration, how can I 'chop it in half' to upload it in 2 parts?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
One thing to keep in mind....

you will give copyright to YouTube when you upload your videos. If these are works of yours that you would like to retain full copyright and control over, then don't upload them to YouTube.
YouTube TOS said:
by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service.
In other words, anyone on YouTube can take your work, modify it slightly and then call it their own.
If this is professional level work that you have put a lot of effort into, then personally, I would advise against using YouTube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
This is for if you don't want to worry about people copying your material and making it their own. If you don't want many people to see it on YouTube you can always set it so that only viewers you select can watch it. You can also keep it public but give it a really strange name and use random uncommon words as tags. The latter option isn't fool-proof, it has just worked for me.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I appreciate the advice and I agree, it's something to take into consideration, however this is a 'dry run' for a rough cut travel documentary about expats and subculture on the island of koh samui, Thailand, and I feature in most of it so it would be difficult for anybody to claim it as their own!

I am following the advice of many friends and colleagues who believe I may be able to get sponsorship from a production company as a result of this. It's the best way I can think of to get my work seen and possibly get a job that I enjoy - i.e. one that utilizes my skills.

Failing that I can just e-mail the link to friends and family. The pilot (one of an intended six) is called 'Walking With Ladyboys' as it centres around an interview with a shemale caberet queen - the title will no doubt attract attention.

I have informed most of those who feature in it that I intend to put it on YouTube as a way of getting my work seen, however I have no means of contacting some of those people featured so I hope I can't be sued. There's nothing really incriminating being shown and there's no profit involved so I hope that will be ok.

Nothing will be seen however unless I can split it, and if the max time is ten minutes do I have to divide it into 3 (10 plus 10 plus 1 min?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
If you have a google account, you could upload it to Google Video. I don't think they have a time limit on videos you upload.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
YouTube is the king, really want it there if possible.

Is there no way to split it without spending a day copying. deleting and re-editing?

Reaction score
How about importing it into iMovie and dragging it to the timeline, editing it to half its size, exporting it and then doing the same again, this time exporting the 2nd half of the movie ... so then you'd have 2 shorter movies to upload ...

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
It's already an i-movie project and editing it to half it's size would surely mean making a backup copy, then deleting everything after 10 minutes, then making another backup of the full version and deleting the first ten minutes and re-positioning all the sound, and finally doing the same for the minute and a half or so that would make up Part 3.

I was hoping there would be a simpler way, not that I don't appreciate your help Pulse, you're the most helpful guy I know here.

It is annoying that YouTube, good though it is - does not have a 'contact us' option on it's home page.

Reaction score
It's already an i-movie project and editing it to half it's size would surely mean making a backup copy, then deleting everything after 10 minutes, then making another backup of the full version and deleting the first ten minutes and re-positioning all the sound, and finally doing the same for the minute and a half or so that would make up Part 3.

I was hoping there would be a simpler way, not that I don't appreciate your help Pulse, you're the most helpful guy I know here.

It is annoying that YouTube, good though it is - does not have a 'contact us' option on it's home page.

Try this cameronryan,

Move the playhead to the first frame of the new scene, and click Edit>Split Video Clip at Playhead, or, use the keyboard shortcut Apple + T. This will split the original clip into two separate scenes. Then you will have 2 or even 3 movies on the timeline.

When you've split the movie, drag the 2nd half back to the Clips section to the right of the viewing window. Then save/export the first half, drag that one back to the Clips section and drag the second half to the timeline and save/edit/export ... whatever you need to do.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Ok, lets say the entire project consists of 200 clips, i.e. square clips that were originally dragged from the viewing window - and I highlight and drag the second half into the clips pane, that still leaves the audio tracks behind that were underneath, the SFX, audio seperated from split clips and music tracks. When back in the clips viewing pane you only get the original sound from the clip, so the added audio from 'part 2' would have to be trashed in order to produce a tidy first half.

This would be achingly time consuming and complicated - and what order would the clips appear in after all being dragged back in? (after of course the same procedure had been applied to the first half) - it would be somewhat of a risk.

Perhaps I need to convert my movie into another format so it appears as one block that can be simply chopped in two without everything getting un-alligned. Do I need to convert the movie to another format to put it on the web anyhow?

Thankyou for your continued tolerance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

I have a problem in where I have uploaded a quick video of myself playing my bass and there appears to be no sound at all. I used iMovie to record the video in and upon playing it back using iMovie there is sound(the video itself was saves as a quicktime file). I have seen a few peoples video's on youtube in where they have written on a piece of paper held up to the camera explaining the same thing and they have been using an iMac with the built in camera so I appear to not be the only one who's having this problem.

Michael.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I made an ad for the internet via Quicktime and the same thing happened.

Reaction score
Ok, lets say the entire project consists of 200 clips, i.e. square clips that were originally dragged from the viewing window - and I highlight and drag the second half into the clips pane, that still leaves the audio tracks behind that were underneath, the SFX, audio seperated from split clips and music tracks. When back in the clips viewing pane you only get the original sound from the clip, so the added audio from 'part 2' would have to be trashed in order to produce a tidy first half.

This would be achingly time consuming and complicated - and what order would the clips appear in after all being dragged back in? (after of course the same procedure had been applied to the first half) - it would be somewhat of a risk.

Perhaps I need to convert my movie into another format so it appears as one block that can be simply chopped in two without everything getting un-alligned. Do I need to convert the movie to another format to put it on the web anyhow?

Thankyou for your continued tolerance.

How about exporting the movie to your desktop then import it back and then just chop it up into 10 min sections??

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I exported it to desktop by simply dragging it, then under File I imported it back to the movie folder where I was back where I started.

There seems to be no short cut to splitting movies, however when I went to File - Export, it is worth mentioning that 'desktop' was not an option anyway, I had a window pop up giving me a list of options for compression, e.g. Quicktime, Web etc..

I sometimes think I have a dodgy Mac... When I click on MSN Messenger I sign in and then I get a window informing me there is a newer version and I must download it if I want to continue using messenger so it gives me 'yes', 'what's new?' and 'no' options.

I choose 'no', so it takes that as a 'forget the whole thing' and I am left with the box I started with, I choose yes and after five minutes it loads Toast Titanium!

Not after sympathy or advice on this particular issue, just an insight into the ongoing malady I am forced to endure on my 10 month old MBP, and I'm about to move to the Phillipines, there's gonna be no Apple store in Manilla, let alone whatever run down beach town I end up in to lock myself away and lean Final Cut.

Reaction score
G'day again cameron.

Boy, you've had some issues going on that need resolving ....

Your iMovie Project

I understand your movie is complex, with a lot of time and effort gone into its creation.

Try this:

Go to iMovie -> File -> Export -> (Choose Quicktime from the top row) Compress movie for: Full Quality -> Click on Share.

In the Save window name your project in Save As: and in Where: choose Desktop then click Save.

iMovie will now compress your movie and tell you how long until the task is completed.

When finished, go to iMove -> File -> New and choose an appropriate name and location and save your new movie template (in other words it will be ready for the importation of your previously saved movie).

In the new movie window go to File -> Import -> and navigate to the Desktop and select your movie, then click on Open.

NOW ...... hopefully what you have done is to import your movie complete with complex audio ... all rolled into an editable little move project.

Drag the movie to the timeline, drag the playhead to the desired location and click on Command + T and hey presto! you suddenly have two movies sitting on the timeline!

Next step is to just finetune it so that each movie edit is exactly the size YouTube allows you to upload.

I hope this works for you cameron ..... ;o)

NOW ....

Your MSN Issues

There are three options here to try ....

Try adding a new user account and see if the problem still persists.

Uninstall and reinstall MSN.

Use iChat in conjunction with a Jabber Account to chat to your MSN buddies. It will only be video plus text though.

Here's the link to the tutorial, it's very straightforward, I know this as I was able to set it up and that's saying something. Just ensure you read and follow every little bit of instruction given.

Linky Guide for setting up iChat

There is a link in that page which takes you to the walkthrough to setting up your Jabber account.

General Maintenace Tips

On the whole, I would really go and create a new user account and temporarily use it with the intent of comparing your MBP's general performance while in the new account. Also I would download and install and run OnyX to flush out any cobwebs with the hope that your MBP can bounce back with the minimum of fuss.

It is adviseable to have on your MBP 3 accounts for now .... an Admin account for installing apps and running OnyX ... your current account which should be a Standard Account ... and the third Standard Account which I am urging you to create so you can further troubleshoot your issues.

Here is a link further explaining my point.

With OnyX, just run the Cleaning & Maintenace tasks and don't tinker around with anything. If you're asked to restart, remember which section you have just completed and restart .... every time you're asked to restart just click on the restart button no matter how annoying it might seem!

And don't fret if OnyX asks you for a password ... it has to ask for an Admin Password so that your MBP is protected from someone running it and messing things up for you.

I'm off camping now until late Sunday (my time of course) so I'll check back then ...

Good Luck Cameron!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.