Seashore Experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi All, I have just read about Seashore, which looks like a new Mac native clone of GIMP. Has anyone used it yet? Can anyone report any user experience with it? Safe? Stable? Thanks.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I tried it but couldn't get on with it. I'll buy myself Photoshop instead.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gave it a whirl. It is very, very limited at this time, but will do basic things like resizing and cropping pictures, which many people in this forum ask for. I would say that it looks like a very promising start. I will keep my eyes on this one as it evolves. It could turn out to be quite an excellent package long term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It could be good when it gets the Gimp's feature set. Until then I'm happy to sit in X11 and use the Gimp properly. I might be in a minority, but I prefer the Gimp's dialog layout to the SeaShore one, which reminds me of Gimp 1.0, back in the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Didn't like it

I DLed it yesterday because I'm pretty disappointed with iPhoto's limited ability. Seashore was nothing special. I've never used Gimp, so I'm not sure what it's potential is, but Seashore didn't do much for me. It was a waste of a download.

Reaction score
I also thank each of you for your comments - I was on the verge of downloading Seashore but based upon your comments I think I will hold off. I have used GIMP with Linux - it is a great program but I am still deciding if it will be worth downloading and running under X11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
the Gimp is definitely worth running with X11 - there is a mac package available to it will start the X server if it's not already running, and it's very fast (much faster than SeaShore)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I also vote for GIMP- very nice program.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use GIMP extensively under Linux and find that it equally excellent under Mac OS X. I would encourage you to give it a try. It is worth it. Rather like Photoshop Elements, but free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
ill stay with gimp although will be watching the seashore for improvements as well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.