Macbook Pro Crashed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83ghz 1gb ram 80gb HD
Hi. I have a macbook pro (core duo) and today when I tried to boot it up I got a kernel error screen. I called apple support and we tried to repair the disc but it didn't work. He said I need to Archive and Install but I have many important files that aren't backed up yet. He said he isn't 100% sure that I won't lose my files, but it IS a possibility. He said that I can do the Firewire Target Disk mode with my PC Desktop. I just got a firewire card and firewire cable and tried, but my PC is not seeing the mac as a HD...Is there a reason why?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Nate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
When I restored my Mac Pro there was an option to keep all the orginal files from the old install. I just made sure that it was checked and continued. After it did everything it needed to do, took about an hour or so, I was back up and running and all my files were in a file called old or something like that. I didn't loose a thing. Just copied everything over that I wanted to keep, including my apps and all was fine again.

Can you burn anything to a disk?
Or will it not boot up at all?

I'd just pop your disk in and see what options you have. You can always cancel if you don't feel like it's going to work the way you want. But just so you know, once you start the process you can not stop it until it's complete...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. It has a screen that says
"Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI".

It won't boot at all, I cannot write any files to a CD.

I guess I will pop the cd in and see what it says. I would just HATE to lose my entire (updated) portfolio due to this :(

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also,
The folders with the VERY important files were on the desktop. Should they be okay when I Archive and Install?

Started the Archive and Install...
*crosses fingers*

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked fine! I have all my documents!
Thanks for the help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad it worked for you. I have never had it loose anything unless the Hard Drive was shot and that is not it's fault. Good Job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.