Colorazation In Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are several ways to do it, actually. One way is to lasso the area you wish to keep colored, then remove the saturation from the rest of the photo until it is grayscaled.

Then you end up with something like this:

shamrock.jpg

P3060066.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Go to:

Images -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You can also go to Layer-->New adjustment layer--> hue/saturation. Then remove the saturation and use the eraser tool to bring the color back where you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
If the object you wish to leave colored is a different color than other objects in the image, after you open the hue/sat layer simply drop everything but that colors saturation.

I think the best way however is to create a seperate layer via copy and turn it into black and white with your preferred method and then erase the area you want to be colored. What you are doing there is erasing the top layer only allowing the original colored layer below it to show through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I used the layer and eraser way to make the photo in this card:

holidaycard.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Here's how I do it 50% of the time, it seems like the long way 'round, but I find it more accurate and easier:

1. Roughly marquee around the area I want colored.
2. Copy and Paste Into a new layer.
3. Then, do Select > Color Range and select the color of the object.
4. Select Inverse.
5. Save Selection.
6. Merge layers down.
7. Load Selection.
8. Image > Hue & Saturation, turn the Master saturation all the way down.

I use this method about 25% of the time:

1. In CS2, enter quick mask mode.
2. Select an adequate brush size with the hardness/opacity turned all the way up.
3. Paint the object you want to keep colored with the brush.
4. Exit quick mask mode.
5. Desaturate.

Then this method occasionally:

1. Duplicate Layer.
2. Filter > Extract.
3. With a small brush size, paint around the edge of the colored object.
4. Fill with Paint bucket tool and Extract.
5. Select original layer and desaturate.

Only when those don't work will I use the lasso tool/desature inverse method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Came out good. I love that trick. Makes some really cool pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
It looks like you've figured it out, but here's how I do it in Photoshop Elements:

1. create a duplicate layer of the color picture. I name it "front" just so I don't confused. The original is the "background" by default.
2. Remove the color from the "front" layer. Do this with Enhance->color->remove color (I think that's right...I'm on a PC at work, so I can't double check).
3. Use the magnetic lasso and select the part of the image you want to be in color and hit "delete" to remove that part from the black & white "front." It exposes the color in the "background."

You can actually do the above in the order 1, 3, 2...but you can't tell if you deleted the right section until you remove the color from teh "front" in the last step.

I've only had the program for 2 days and this is what I figured out. It's also the free 30 day trial I got from download.com. The ways mentioned above might be easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.