• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to copy a DVD (not a movie)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy
I have a data DVD that I would like to make an exact copy of. It's a backup of my website as well as a bunch of files and misc. I have one copy, and I want to make another direct from that DVD, not re-download and make another. This DVD was made from my home desktop, and I'm now using my MBP C2D.

So, I have a DVD with data I want to make an exact copy of, and I have a MBP C2D. How do I do it? And what do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well by exact copy I assume your going put it on another CD?

Well what I would do would make a Burn-able Image of it using Disk Utility in Utilities in your Tiger Application folder.

Make an Image, then Eject the DVD, then put in the Burnable DVD and Burn it onto that. Should be as straight forward as I say but any problems post again.

Hope that Helps and if it's wrong Blame the Guy behind me.

OP
Jamo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I use "Compression" or "Master" when I create the image.

Sorry for the n00b questions, I've been a PC user forever and just made the switch on Thursday. I must say, Mac = Heaven. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Sorry mate I'm a newbie as well, I just talk a good game. :yinyang:

I wouldn't of thought it would make a difference as you are only holding it temporally before you burn it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Why not just use Roxio Toast and make a DVD copy?

OP
Jamo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'm all finished. I did exactly as Big D suggested and I chose "Compression" as the method. It took a bit longer than I expected (about 20 minutes for the read and write process altogether) for a 3.5GB DVD. Disk Utility was great. I inserted the DVD I wanted to make a copy of, selected Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities and selected "Create new image". It created and saved the new image in Documents, but I could have changed that. I ejected that disc and inserted a blank. When the dialogue came up for asking what you want to do with the disc I chose "Open Disk Utility". From there I selected the image I had just created and cliced on the "Burn" icon up top right. After a short time it was all done and ejected the disc. I then went to Documents and trashed the image I created. Voila, all done. That was very easy.

And Punk, I don't have Toast and didn't want to buy a new app to do something that I thought (and I was right) should be handled by pre-installed software or utilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.