• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

sony sr30 hdd camcorder

S

scotty

HI all,

just purchased a sony sr30 hdd camcorder, cant get my imac to recognise it any suggestions

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think any hard drive camcorders are compatible with iMovie (I know none of the sony models are)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
wouldnt you be able to take the video off the HDD of the camcorder and put it on your HDD then import it to iMovie?

i would also like to know because im abouyt to purchase a HDD cam and if Macs dont recognize them ill bne angry, i alrerady sold me dvd cam to get mone for the HDD cam :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got this from another forum

Don't know for sure if it's compatible. Just keep in mind that most (if not all) hard drive camcorders use MPG2 compression. This is not typically a format meant for editing. iMovie doesn't work with MPG2.

To get MPG2 footage to work with iMovie, you'll have to convert it to DV or MPG4 first. That is a time consuming step and basically wipes out the one major advantage of a HDD camcorder, which is speed. You're better off sticking with a miniDV camcorder until iMovie works with MPG2 footage natively.

If that Sony uses MPG4, there's a chance that it'll work with iMovie. You'll want to verify before purchasing. Just keep in mind that both MPG2 or MPG4 are inferior to DV in terms of quality. Both MPG formats are much more heavily compressed than DV. That's not to say a high quality MPG camcorder can't be better than a low quality miniDV camcorder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
wouldnt you be able to take the video off the HDD of the camcorder and put it on your HDD then import it to iMovie?

i would also like to know because im abouyt to purchase a HDD cam and if Macs dont recognize them ill bne angry, i alrerady sold me dvd cam to get mone for the HDD cam :p

I'm in the same boat.. I've been looking to purchase a HDD camcorder for a while now, but haven't found anything that can tell me if it'll work with a Mac.. if Any one can find a HDD camcorder that is Mac-compatible, let me know...

If I used a MiniDV camcorder, does it still record in mpg2? or can I use it on my mac with iMovie?

I'm still fairly new to recording video and using a Mac to edit it.

sph

Reaction score
I just bought the Sony DCR-40 HDD camcorder and ran into the same problems described here. The convenience of the Hard Drive is pretty awesome, but I'm thinking about returning it and going back to Mini DV.

The main problem on the Mac is that iMovie doesn't allow you to import vide from an external device unless its via Firewire. The Sony HDD camcorders are all USB 2.0 (which is ridiculous at this point).

For the videos I've taken so far, I am using Quicktime Pro to convert the Mpeg-2 files to Mpeg-4 so that they will work with iMovie.

I definitely noticed a difference in quality between the Mini DV and the HDD. The Mini DV seems much better. I still have another 12 days or so until I need to return the Sony HDD one to Circuity City...but at this point I don't see how I can keep it when its not Firewire and the quality gets degraded when you convert it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the same boat.. I've been looking to purchase a HDD camcorder for a while now, but haven't found anything that can tell me if it'll work with a Mac.. if Any one can find a HDD camcorder that is Mac-compatible, let me know...

If I used a MiniDV camcorder, does it still record in mpg2? or can I use it on my mac with iMovie?

I'm still fairly new to recording video and using a Mac to edit it.
Tape camcorders don't record using a codec that you are used to seeing on a computer (mpeg, wmv, avi,etc.). When you import to iMovie it converts the data that is stored into tape into a video format that it can use to edit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
But isn't MiniDV like a small DVD-typed disk, and not a tape?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No thats a DVD camcorder. MiniDV uses smaller DV tapes

DVD camcorders are also a major hassle because you can't download off of the camera, the quality isn't as good as MiniDV, and the only way you can get the video off is by ripping it off the dvd which can be really tricky since they use smaller dvd's that you can't use in slotloading drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So what type of camcorder would you recommend to be working with on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a MiniDV camcorder

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.