FLAC support on OS X

L

Lurikrunch

I will be purchasing one of the new Conroe Macbook Pros in the immediate future, and I have a small question. I dislike mp3s and their level of quality, so my entire music collection is in a format known as .flac. Are there any third party media players out for OS X that support FLAC playback? I would be looking for the equivalent of foobar from windows.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
Hi there! Just to let you know, the Core 2 Duos used in the MBPs (and new iMacs) are Meroms, not Conroes. Conroe is the name of the desktop version of the chip, which are not currently used in any Macs.

I've found Cog to be a great multi-format audio player for OS X. Nowhere near the customisation of Foobar, unfortunately, but it will play FLAC.

OP
L

Lurikrunch

Sometimes I'm so clueless... thanks for letting me know it's a Merom. :p I'm checking out Cog now, it looks like it will do nicely, thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks Chundermuffin for the url to COG. It's way better than what I was using to play the few .FLAC and OGG files I have so thanks again! Looks promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Cog is what I use for FLACs and it is nice that Toast 7 has native support for burning them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
No worries :) I'd also like to mention that upgrading to 10.4.8 after installing Cog can mess it up (as happened to me), a complete reinstall should fix it.

That is, a reinstall of Cog, not OS X ;)

Reaction score
Hey, Is their an update on this at all?
I got a New MBP and most of my music is Flac. Hopefully there is a plugin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, no plugin. Just Cog and MacFLAC/xAct to convert it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fine I settled for XAct and converted them. Hopefully Leopard has this included!
its not an issue of the operating system , it is apple providing codecs for iTunes to recognize the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.