Smaller previews in Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac!
Hello there,

Firstly i'd like to appologise because i bet this is a stupid question and i will probably explain it very badly but here goes ...

Is there some way of, when you click on a web link on a site and it opens up a picture in the browser, viewing the whole picture? For example if i open a picture taken on something like a 9MP camera the picture opens up massive and you have to scroll across the pop up window to view the whole thing wheras im sure windows opens the picture big then sort of scales it down so it fits into the window properly. Does that make any sense?

Its been bugging me for ages now and wondered if there was some way around it.

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Andy:bomb:

Reaction score
Hello there,

Firstly i'd like to appologise because i bet this is a stupid question and i will probably explain it very badly but here goes ...

Is there some way of, when you click on a web link on a site and it opens up a picture in the browser, viewing the whole picture? For example if i open a picture taken on something like a 9MP camera the picture opens up massive and you have to scroll across the pop up window to view the whole thing wheras im sure windows opens the picture big then sort of scales it down so it fits into the window properly. Does that make any sense?

Its been bugging me for ages now and wondered if there was some way around it.

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Andy:bomb:

Hi andi.nico,

I think I know what you mean, I hope, but if you're talking about having more control over your own pictures which you may have uploaded, then what about the export feature in iPhoto?

You can export the size that suits you, and eliminate those annoying large photos that are way too big to fit the average browser....

I hope I am on the right track...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac!
Thats kinda what i mean ... its not MY photo's that i want to scale its pictures that are already on the net. Like say i look up example photo's taken on the K800i mobile phone. They are 3mp pictures so when Safari opens them (providing whoever posted the picture posted it full size) it will open up in a new window (or tab if thats what you click) but it is a massive picture that doesnt fit on the screen and Windows scales it down so you can see the whole image wheras im not sure if the Mac does.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Hopefully that now makes more sense ... hehe

Reaction score
internet explorer 6 has auto image resizing and I think you are looking for the same in Mac.

I can't find anything on the web but that means nought!

Can you post a link so I can check an oversize image myself.....

Reaction score
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac!
Thats a bit of a mission isnt it - its no biggie really i'm just surprised Safari can't do it in a browser to save all that fiddling.
Ah well.

Reaction score
Thats a bit of a mission isnt it - its no biggie really i'm just surprised Safari can't do it in a browser to save all that fiddling.
Ah well.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, just I don't know how to do it like you expect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There are two things preventing me from using Safari full time (I use Firefox instead) - a shortcut key to get to the 'search' box in the top right, and image scaling. Every other browser allows this - I'm not sure why Safari hasn't gained this at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
On most images you can right click and there is an option to "Scale to fit". In this case however, for some reason it wont work. If you right click on it and select Open in new tab/window then go to that new tab/window, it will give you the scale to fit option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.