¿¿¿ Audacity Is Killing Me ... Sound Settings ???

G

grimmer

Help please ... Audacity must be changing some secret sound setting automatically, because after I open it, YouTube is silent and Rhapsody refuses to play at all. iTunes is unaffected, as are the "system" sound settings. I don't get it. I feel like I have been through every menu and control panel in the OS.

Restarts do nothing (Safari or system). First this happened at home to my Dual-core Mini and now to the Intel iMac at work. Both are on Tiger. I am an old fed-up Windows defecter, but I sort of wish I had all the Windows menus now. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try starting garageband, wait for it to open and quit again.

Others have reported similar issues and firing up garageband seemed to help them...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Garage Band has fixed this every time for me. Play a few notes in GB and then it should be back to normal. That is why I do not use Audacity any longer. I went with Amadeus. It costs a bit but works 100% and no issues so far.

OP
G

grimmer

You are right. Wow. That is retarded.
Any insight into the mechanism at work here?
You guys are my heroes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Some sort of bug in audacity and its core audio handling I'd guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Help please ... Audacity must be changing some secret sound setting automatically, because after I open it, YouTube is silent and Rhapsody refuses to play at all. iTunes is unaffected, as are the "system" sound settings. I don't get it. I feel like I have been through every menu and control panel in the OS.

Restarts do nothing (Safari or system). First this happened at home to my Dual-core Mini and now to the Intel iMac at work. Both are on Tiger. I am an old fed-up Windows defecter, but I sort of wish I had all the Windows menus now. Any ideas?

I read at the Audacity site that there was a bug like that. I think the remedy was listed at their site. There's something to change with preferences. I think what it does, is mess with other system sounds or something like that. There's something in the preferences which stops the app doing that.

I haven't had that problem with my version of Audacity, possibly because of that preference setting. Check out their site for details. It should fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.