• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems while capturing video in imac- help pls

Reaction score
Hi!

1) When I capture video from mini dv ( JVC GR DVL-120 )to imac ( 17" C2D 2.0 ghz) the image quality is superb but after 5 to 6 mins of capture, the audio keeps on breaking.
When I save the clip and play it - the "audio break" gets recorded too. When I play the tape thru my TV everything is just fine, but don't know why it happens when capturing with imac. I tried capturing in DV and MPEG 4 format and this problem occurs in both formats.

2) 8 mins of mpeg 4 is nearly 1 gig and 3 mins of DV is about 700 mb is there any way I can compress while capturing or maybe after I save the clip in respective formats considering the mini dv tape is 60 mins......

much thanks
kaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Re 1):

Go to iMovie->Preferences->importing and try unchecking the 'filter audio' and 'Start a new clip at scene break' options and see if that resolves the issue.

Re 2): I don't really think there's any way of importing the film differently. It's coming in off the camera at that resolution, and it's just not feasible to dynamically recompress it whilst it's importing.

Video editing always takes up insane amounts of space, but seeing as how cheap large hard drives have become, I'd suggest you just invest in a large external drive for your movie editing.

OP
K
Reaction score
Re 1):

Go to iMovie->Preferences->importing and try unchecking the 'filter audio' and 'Start a new clip at scene break' options and see if that resolves the issue.

Re 2): I don't really think there's any way of importing the film differently. It's coming in off the camera at that resolution, and it's just not feasible to dynamically recompress it whilst it's importing.

Video editing always takes up insane amounts of space, but seeing as how cheap large hard drives have become, I'd suggest you just invest in a large external drive for your movie editing.

hi!
Much thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Re 1):

HI!

I tried wat you suggested ( Re 1) and while doing that a "beep beep" sound keeps coming from the imac speakers, I tried few times but was the same.

I did the "One step DVD" method from idvd. Captured directly from the cam, I just wanted to see how it happens and hoped that all would work. But when I played the DVD - the audio is missing.....it's really frustrating!!

Any more suggestions??

thanks again
kaps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.