Speakers for DJing

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Hopefully you can help me with a question I have.

I just purchased Traktor 3 for my MacBook. I am not a pro DJ by any means, I just bought the software to play around with tracks and do things for personal use. But, I would however like to be able to hook up more than just multimedia/computer speakers, and I'm confused as to how I go about doing it.

Is there a way to hook up non-powered speakers (like the big speakers that come with home stereos)? If so, what equipment do I need and where can I purchase it? If it is not possible, what alternatives do I have to get a lot of sound/volume out of my Mac?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

Reaction score
I am a professional mobile Dj so I will try to help you out here.

Not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do, but If I've got it right, you just want to know how to output sound out of your mac? For starters, you'll need something like a 1/8" to RCA cable, which is the standard hookup on most amps/mixers.

Maybe this will help. My basic DJ setup consists of my Powerbook, a mixing console, and two powered speakers and sub. I output the sound from my mac using the cable mentioned above, input into my mixer, then output from my mixer into my subs/cabs.

As you mentioned, your trying to use a home stereo. This will work by just plugging your mac using the RCA cable into your reciever/amplifier, using one of the inputs.

Does this help?

OP
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help. So essentially, I just need something to power my speakers, and in this case, it's my home stereo. I am going to pick up the RCA cable tonight, so I will go from there and see how things work out. If I have any other questions, I will make sure to ask. Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.