Would you reinstall OSX when upgrading HDD?

Reaction score
I will be doing a hard drive upgrade on my Macbook this week and was wondering what the consensus is on reinstalling OSX. I know the bitrot problems Windows has are not a real issue but I think there may be something to be said for just tidying up the drive. But, there is a price to pay in time expended.

I have had the machine for 2 months. I'm also running XP using Parallels and Vista RC1 using Bootcamp. Ubuntu as also be installed under Parallels but I deleted that. Is there any advantage to cleaning up these partitions?

Thanks for your opinion-

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There's no need to reinstall - just use CCC like baggss says and it'll all be cool :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Unless there are performance problems with having had the Linux partitions created and deleted, which is possible, then no it's not necessary. However if you're having any issues then you might as well do it now whilst you have only a few months worth of stuff to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.