Why different options on different email accounts?

Reaction score
I am retrieving mail thru Mail for both Yahoo and .Mac (at least until tomorrow when Yahoo back to web mail only). I was change my Mac mail account so it would stop deleting mail from the server after downloading to my computer. In the Advanced settings for Yahoo there is a block which I had previously unmarked so it would not delete them off the server. There is no such box under Advanced with the Mac account. So how do I stop Mac from deleting the mail off the server???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
.Mac doesn't delete off the server. It's an IMAP account. The Inbox is mirrored between the two of them as are the folders if you place them under .mac instead of on your computer when you create them.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
schweb said:
.Mac doesn't delete off the server. It's an IMAP account. The Inbox is mirrored between the two of them as are the folders if you place them under .mac instead of on your computer when you create them.

Hmmm ok - I have never used an IMAP account but there are not mirrors of each other right now. It appears the account on my computer is a POP account. Is there a way to correct this? (and by the way thank you for the prompt reply and information - it is greatly appreciated!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
what is the POP addres you set up on your computer?

it is likely you can set it up as either POP account or an IMAP account if POP then it downloads all to your computer (you can tell it to leave a copy on the server in most mail clients), if IMAP, it is as above, you delete a message, it will delete it from the server, technically it doesnt mirror the emails, you just read emails off the server directly, you delete one, it deletes it off the server as if you were logged in via http://

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.