• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Building a new studio....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
Hello all.. Its been a while since I been on here.. But anywho, probably in the new year I plan on converting part of my basement into an animation/recording studio. The space is fairly open and I'll be getting mostly new stuff and building whatever I need as I go. Im planning on getting a new iMac 20" (hopefully I'll get a good incometax refund) setup an audio recording booth, and all that fun stuff. Anyone have any suggestions or advice of things I should do/ not do, when planning my working space. My equipment is pretty small, just a 4 track mixer, a USB audio interface, the iMac, I'll be getting some new studio monitors for audio. So the workspace was pretty much just going to be a wide flat desk, with some storage underneth.

Im also looking for anyone who setup their own home studios, have any stories, pictures.. anything for inspiration.. ;) LOL

Thanks to all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook, 1.33GHz, 512MB, OS 10.3.9
which usb interface are you using? i've got an mbox and am thinking about going for a firepod.

sluzniak said:
Hello all.. Its been a while since I been on here.. But anywho, probably in the new year I plan on converting part of my basement into an animation/recording studio. The space is fairly open and I'll be getting mostly new stuff and building whatever I need as I go. Im planning on getting a new iMac 20" (hopefully I'll get a good incometax refund) setup an audio recording booth, and all that fun stuff. Anyone have any suggestions or advice of things I should do/ not do, when planning my working space. My equipment is pretty small, just a 4 track mixer, a USB audio interface, the iMac, I'll be getting some new studio monitors for audio. So the workspace was pretty much just going to be a wide flat desk, with some storage underneth.

Im also looking for anyone who setup their own home studios, have any stories, pictures.. anything for inspiration.. ;) LOL

Thanks to all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Lots and lots of sound deadening material. Most basements are concrete, which is no good acoustically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
surfwax95 said:
Lots and lots of sound deadening material. Most basements are concrete, which is no good acoustically.

very true. sound on sound magazine has a good website full of stuff on recording and acoustics and sound deadening and techniques for this and that. it's crazy.

also, I recommend firewire interface over USB. Yes, they are a bit more pricey, but simultaneous tracking is GREAT! I had the M-Audio mobilepre and I've been using the firepod lately. easy to use, small, awesome.

good luck! and post pictures and stuff on the build up

Joe

Jem

Reaction score
What's simultaneous tracking? I've just got myself a Tascam US-122L (USB-2 Audio / Midi interface) and been quite impressed with the sound quality and lack of latency out of it.

I'm unimpressed with the way Tascams drivers seem to give up every so often requiring the unit to be unplugged / plugged in again but for the money ($149) it's been great so far :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey all.. Wow, somehow the replies flew under my radar. Oh well..

Im currently using a M-Audio USB Qutrao interface. It only is taking the stereo to 1 track, but I haven't messed with it too much. But it does seem to eat up resources, but I was using it on a g4 imac 1ghz processor.

In the shopping for new gear I came across this lovely little mixer.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8-FireWire-8Channel-Analog-Mixer?sku=630151
8 channels and firewire.. At a good price.. I just wish it had sliders instead of knobs for the volume adjustments. Eh, beggers can't be choosers.

I am definatly going to check on that sound on sound magazine site.. Im going to google it, but if you could provide a link Id be most gratefull..

While I have everyone ears, any opinions on studio monitors for under 200. Its a small area, so they don't need to be huge, just a good quality.. I was looking at either one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Studiophile-DX4-Powered-Monitors-Pair?sku=603705

OR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-MA15D-Digital-Stereo-Micro-Monitor-Pair?sku=603678

Thanks all..

Jem

Reaction score
Wow that Alesis mixer looks excellent value for the money! I personally don't have a need for more than a couple of channels of input + some MIDI but if I were still gigging then that looks a great way to record the live band... ok so 16 channels would be nice but as you say, for that money beggers can't be choosers.

Out of those monitors, I like the look of the Edirol ones as they seem more versatile, especially with the SPDIF optical input. The review scores seem to reckon they're the ones to go for as well.

Reaction score
I just bought these Behringer ones that are very similar to the Edirols.

http://www.behringer.com/MS40/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I wasn't expecting much for that price but I'm really happy with them. For monitoring I just leave all the adjustments at a neutral position. If I'm watching a dvd, playing games then I adjust to suit. The good thing about them is the amount of inputs they have.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cjay said:
I just bought these Behringer ones that are very similar to the Edirols.

http://www.behringer.com/MS40/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I wasn't expecting much for that price but I'm really happy with them. For monitoring I just leave all the adjustments at a neutral position. If I'm watching a dvd, playing games then I adjust to suit. The good thing about them is the amount of inputs they have.

Very nice. They have the inputs I need, more powerfull than the M-audio. and I can get them for 129.00.. I think they might be the right ones for me.. THANKS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.