Logging Off

Reaction score
I'm trying to download something and it going to take 3 hours. Is there any way to log off and leave programs running while someone else logs onto their username?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can enable fast user switching and simply return to the login panel. the other user can then log in while your account is doing its thing.

Reaction score
Ma Junior said:
where would I do this? i looked in system preferences, but i do not see it.

When you go to Accounts look at the bottom of the left panel where it says Login Options. Click on that and it's as simple as ticking the box.

~

OP
M
Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
When you go to Accounts look at the bottom of the left panel where it says Login Options. Click on that and it's as simple as ticking the box.

~

Yea i actually ticked that box when I initially set up my Mini. When I try to log off with a program running I'm prompted to close the program and then try logging off again. Any other things to try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Don't Log Off.

Enable Fast User Switching in the Accounts part of System Preferences. Then tick the box that says "Show User Icon in Menu Bar."

Then click on the user icon on the top right and click "Login Window".

Someone else will be able to log on and you're stuff will still be doing it's thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.