SWITCHED...recently

Reaction score
Was a Mac user in college (90s), then went over to the darkside once in the working/corporate world out of necessity and always missed having Macs. Finally got back to them when my wife bought me a 20' iMac G5 for my b-day last year, and a 13 inch MB this year. She rocks, and our Mac family is now up to 4 (3 laptops and the iMac)!!

I have been reading a good deal on this site the past few weeks and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to set the finder window settings so that they will not revert back to default settings each time I re-launch it? Every time I open the Finder, I am having to adjust my column widths in order to read the file names....just a nuisance.

2) Is anybody else having stability issues with iMovie 6? Mine crashes regularly and I have been working on a fairly large and significant movie project that takes a good 30 seconds to save each time, and I am now saving after EVERY change (e.g., every time I add even a transition).

3) I am looking to double my iMac's RAM to 2 GB, can anyone tell me if there are approved vendors for this in order to keep my warranty from voiding?

This is my first post, so usual apologies for lack of protocol.....I appreciate your feedback. It is good to be back FULLTIME!!!

G-Pac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1. It’s either in Finders Prefs or in View option, I can never remember which.

2. Don't use it enough to say

3. You won't void your warranty, buy the RAM from a reputable dealer or store. There is no such thing as "Mac" RAM, it's just the specific type of RAM your Mac needs and is the same used by the PC world.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
G-Pac said:
2) Is anybody else having stability issues with iMovie 6? Mine crashes regularly and I have been working on a fairly large and significant movie project that takes a good 30 seconds to save each time, and I am now saving after EVERY change (e.g., every time I add even a transition).
Are you running iMovie HD 6.0.3? I don't have any problem with it. Most of the sermons, I work with are about 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes.

OP
G
Reaction score
baggss said:
1. It’s either in Finders Prefs or in View option, I can never remember which.

2. Don't use it enough to say

3. You won't void your warranty, buy the RAM from a reputable dealer or store. There is no such thing as "Mac" RAM, it's just the specific type of RAM your Mac needs and is the same used by the PC world.

Thanks baggss....looked into finder prefs and view option but could not resolve either way. I see the option to open finder in column view, but nothing about keeping the coumn settings fixed when closing/opening finder (mine seem to revert back to a default setting everytime I re-open). Not a huge issue, but still a bit of a PITA. Also, ordered my RAM upgrade today. THANKS!

OP
G
Reaction score
rman said:
Are you running iMovie HD 6.0.3? I don't have any problem with it. Most of the sermons, I work with are about 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes.

Hey rman- Yes, I am running 6.0.3 and I am amazed at how unstable it has been. I hope it is not my system, but it is do for an annual check up and I am upping my RAM to 2 GBs, so maybe that will help. My iMovie has a tendancy to shut down regularly and w/ zero notice. I have gotten in the habit of saving WAY to often, but am not workin on any projects larger than 1 hour (or 50 GB in size), iMovie should be able to handle that. I am surprised that others are not having similar issues. Thanks for the feedback!!

Reaction score
Thanks baggss....looked into finder prefs and view option but could not resolve either way. I see the option to open finder in column view, but nothing about keeping the coumn settings fixed when closing/opening finder (mine seem to revert back to a default setting everytime I re-open). Not a huge issue, but still a bit of a PITA. Also, ordered my RAM upgrade today. THANKS!

This worked for me on 10.4 :

I'm posting this as it took me forever to find a GLOBAL solution.

I couldn't believe how "undocumented" and hard this was to figure out.

The desired view will "take" if

- you are currently on an Administrator account, and
- you change the view (via the view selectors) while the Home account/folder is selected.

Paolo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.