• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Digital Video Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Just got a DV Camcorder for X-Mas. So I was thinking about chasing my cats around for a while to get started with learning how to use it. I am looking for recommendations for editing software. Do you use Final Cut Pro, or iMovie, or what else? I think iMovie is too simplified, and from what I've use of Final Cut Pro, it might be a little bit more difficult for a first time videographer :). Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I has played with both. You might want to start with Imovie first and then move to Final Cut. One thing about Final Cut, you can do almost anything you want to do. It just take a little work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i do almost all my home movies in iMovie. its great, its simple and doesn't take much time. when my friend and i make our semi-professional low budget films we use Final cut all the way. although we did rejected for our last submission to the Sundance movie festival....

you can do some cool stuff with iMove, especially if you buy some cool transitions for like $20.. heres something i did with my spring break video from last year.. I'm the blonde hair guy who wins!!!

(outdated link removed)

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting video... Nice production company name :) Got any links to other stuff you've done? I'd like to see some of the effects you can do with iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
im working on one now that me and my band made while recording some of our music... i think everyone will find the ending very funny... im just waiting on the guitar player to give me the recording back

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emrys, what kind of DV Camcorder did you get. I am starting to do the research, in order to purchase one. You trying to get the most bang for the buck or bells and whistles.

B)

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a JVC GR-DVL520u. As far as bells and whistles are concerned, I don't know nay of them yet... Still haven't had a chance to use it, but I plan on it. Gotta scope out some properties, so I figure if I video tape it I won't have to "remember' everything :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So Emrys, how is the camera working? Did you get a chance to try it out?

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took some video of my cats, but I haven't really done anything with it. I imported it into my Mac with iMovie ( fireware rules! controls the camera so there is no sync issues ). I will try to mess with it some more. My girl and I are going to look at houses in Vermont next week, so I plan on taking it up there and shooting the houses so we have something to look at when we come home ( if we didn't already make an offer on a house :) ). So that will be some more practice.

The camera is really nice though. It doesn't focus as fast as I would like, but then again it isn't human :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The focusing problem is simliar to the problem I have with my digital still camera. You press the button to take the picture. The first flash (red eye flash), flashes. Then everyone starts to move when the final flash and picture is taken.

:)

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, it's not about that. It's about when something moves in front of it, it gets WAY outta focus, and then it takes a while to get back into focus. I will have to check more into how the AUTO mode works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.