• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Handbrake takes 6-8 hours per dvd?

Reaction score
Hello, I've used a mixture of MactheRipper and Handbrake. I like both, but handbrake products take up a lot less space than ripper. However ripper only takes an hour at the most. When I use handbrake it take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours to do using 2-pass encoding and MP4 format. I've check the forums about settings and I have them right. I have a 6 month old PB so it is fast. I'm just curious if it takes that long for everyone? Thanks for the help.
Jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, it takes much longer. The compression is much more processor intensive. All MacTheRipper is doing essentially is making a copy, not compressing.

OP
V
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I was just making sure it wasn't a setting I had wrong or maybe it just wasn't running right. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
Well,
what Schweb didn't explain is that there are a variety of things that affect that time frame.

I'm on a 15" MBP 1.83. Takes me about 40 minutes, yes thats right, 40 minutes, give or take a few, to do a whole movie I've ripped with MTR.

I've got the new intel version of handbrake and setting it to the mpeg4 selection takes 40 minutes or so.

Setting it to h264 takes a bit longer. I keep meaning to test this but I've been really busy lately. Look for a thread here in about a week and I'll start posting results.

If you're on an older Powerbook, yeah, it can take a bit of time. But then again, I don't recall it ever taking 6 hours on mine. I want to say 2 or 3 hours, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, the more specifics you give the more we can figure things out.

What processor? How much RAM? How much extra HDD space do you have? Do you have alot of processes running in the background?

Let us know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, more info please. On my 1.66 Core Duo Intel Mini it takes from 50-60 minutes in Handbrake to MP4 but my iMac G5 with it set to Maximum performance is 2.5 to 3 hours. On my older G4 Macs it can take up to 5 hours sometimes. Let us know your Macs specs.

Reaction score
My iMac G5 would take forever also. Depending on the length of the movie. Some movies are only an hour long, but some are almost 3 hours.

When I use my MacBook, it only takes about 45 minutes. Hopefully with my new iMac it will take even less time.

OP
V
Reaction score
Here are my specs: 15" PB/1.67ghz G4/1GB SDRAM/120 GB HD. I've got 50 GB of space left on my HD and not running other programs most of the time. Is there anything else you need to know about my mac? I'm ripping it straight to my desktop rather than going straight to the external HD. My thinking behind that was it would be quicker and less distance to travel, but I could be wrong. Using MTR it only takes 45 minutes at the most...when I'm not having problems with MTR. Sometimes it gets hung up on some dvds and won't move on. Spaceage you said it takes you 40 minutes to do it in handbrake also can only make me believe I've got my settings wrong. I know the MBP's are suppose to be really fast, but I can't see it being THAT much faster than a PB thats 6 months old. I could be wrong though. FYI the settings I have on handbrake are: MP4 file/AVC H.264 video AAC audio/framerate same as source/encoder x264 (main profile)/quality average bitrate 1000/2pass encoding. I hope you guys can help cause it's going to take a long time to back up my dvd collection doing it this way. Thanks for the help fellas.
Jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
Ok,
the first thing I see is.. 2 pass encoding. You dont need that on an all digital rip. I think. I could be wrong, but I think that that was included for ripping straight from the DVD. I think if you're doing it straight from your HDD that it doesnt matter, but someone else please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the difference between an MBP and a PB.

I have to belive that it was one of 2 things. Let me explain why.

I had done star wars 3 a day before I sold my 12 powerbook. It took several h ours. Well then i had sold it, and forgot to copy it off.

Imagine my surprise when I came back to the MBP and did it and it took like 40 minutes. There were only 2 things different at that time.

One was the new MBP. The other was the universal build of handbrake. So it's got to be one of the 2. I do not know which, or if its the combo of the 2. Either way I don't think you have a way to speed things up, because both reasons, one way or the other, break down to having the Intel chips in your system. You've still got the G4.

Aside from that I don't really think there's anything you can do. Aside from getting a windows box and finding an OSx86 build out there from someone like Maxxus, or selling and buying a new intel Mac, I hate to say it but I think you're stuck.

But dont take my word for it, ask the other guys. But like I said, watch here and I'll start posting some results of my tests later this week.

So you know, I'll be testing it with an MTR rip of Chronicles of Narnia: The lion, witch and wardrobe. I'll try different configurations and let you guys know.

Good luck.

And hey, if you need to, PM me and I'll give you my skype info and we can talk.

Reaction score
6-8 hours? That doesn't sound right. My mini is lower specced than your powerbook and it never takes me more than 20 mins to rip with MTR. I don't use HandBrake but with toast it's only approx 30mins to compress and burn.

Reaction score
I haven't seen it take that long

cjay said:
6-8 hours? That doesn't sound right. My mini is lower specced than your powerbook and it never takes me more than 20 mins to rip with MTR. I don't use HandBrake but with toast it's only approx 30mins to compress and burn.

I just downloaded 'Handbrake' and saw someone say use the H.264 codec. I have ripped several DVD's. Each take about 1 and 1/2 hours at one-pass. They come out as MP4 files - about a 1GB each depending on Movie length. They all play great! I have altered the extension to M4v and import into iTunes.
Not sure what 2-pass is for but mine seem fine on 1-pass.

Reaction score
My iBook G4 1.33 ghz took seventeen minutes to rip a 4.17 gb DVD using mac the ripper and my 450 mhz cube doesn't take much longer.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. My success with handbrake is getting stupid now. I left handbrake burning a single dvd last night and now that I've waken up this morningn it still has 4 hours left! This is the longest it's ever taken. Spaceage I think I might end up skyping you to try and figure this out. Does anyone think it would help if I deleted handrake and downloaded it again in hopes that might help?

Reaction score
Is the DVD that you're trying to rip damaged or scratched? One time I had some trouble trying to rip a damaged DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Different DVDs will rip at different speeds. Ripping from the HDD will speed things up a bit, but considering the specs of your G4 not by much. Reloading HB isn't going to make any difference. My old 1.25Ghz G4 tower would take anywhere from 3 to 8 hours for a 2 hour DVD, it all depended on the DVD and it's still true on my Quad. The quality you are ripping will take a while, even my quad rips slower at those settings and it won't play on an iPod (not that it may matter to you).

2 Pass encoding will give you a bit better quality no matter if it ripped from a DVD or the Hard Drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.