• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Pinstripe No More?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: SpyMac

Considering that Apple's official guidelines dictate that the metal interface should only be used in specific types of applications, its emergence in developments such as Safari and iChat has produced the question: What exactly is Apple doing with brushed-metal?

Reports of Mail.app going metal indicate that Apple's scope of metal-worthy developments is indeed increasing, and recent rumors claim that Apple may be preparing to shock us all by making brushed-metal standard in the next revision of OS X.

Code-named "Panther," Apple has openly announced that the next major upgrade to Jaguar will be showcased at the delayed WWDC in June. Newcomer LoopRumors claims a "system-wide metal interface," will be part of that announcement, though Spymac sources are unable to confirm the "take over."

If such a transition does happen, expect Microsoft's upcoming Office revision to be among the first major third-party application to sport the new look, says one source.

G

gatorparrots

If this is anything more than a rumor, I certainly hope Metalifizer from Unsanity can be made more robust and handle true system-wide de-metalifizification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I agree. I don't care for the metal interface. It is kinda "old". And it doesn't mesh with the "fluidity" of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I actually like the metal look.. when I use the metal theme it turns more heads then when I use the Xp theme...
I would probably not choose either white or brushed metal, ide have a smooth aqual look to it, much like the scroll bars...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Why would the XP theme turn heads? Isn't the whole point of going Apple to get out of Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I am like the only mac user in this entire building, at least one of the only with jaguar or osx.
So PC users all ways see me do cool things with my mac, or they come up with bullshizz responses like "i hate the interface" and well i just like to show them, thats can be changed. Yeah personally i think its an ugly interface, total rip off of aqua in a crapy way.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: LoopRumors.com

As LoopRumors first reported on March 18th (below), Apple's new Operating System, Panther, is due this Fall. One week ago, Apple announced that they will demo the new operating system at the WWDC in June. Our sources have told us that one main theme throughout will be a system-wide metal interface. Rumors of a revamped Mail.app have been circulating and today, we received an image of a recent build of the "Metallic Mail," which turned out to be "Metalifized" We have received several emails asking if everything would be metal. From the information we have, as far as we know, only the Apple Applications will sport the metal. The overall system will maintain the Aqua interface and the menu bar, drop-down menus and dock will remain unchanged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
Originally posted by schweb@Mar 29 2003, 08:11 PM
The overall system will maintain the Aqua interface and the menu bar, drop-down menus and dock will remain unchanged.
Now that sounds better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the metal look is ok at times, but i dont care much if they do change the system because im sure 10.3 will be theme-able

A

AstralZenith

i think the metal is ok if the window is mostly covered with controls, text boxes etc (like ichat). but if the window is mostly window that is really ugly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.