Extended warranty?

F

freakout

Hi,

If I purchase an iMac from a Mac store and don't buy the warranty (Apple Protection Plan) can I buy the extended warranty later? Like sometime within the 90 days before the other warranty expires?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
freakout said:
Hi,

If I purchase an iMac from a Mac store and don't buy the warranty (Apple Protection Plan) can I buy the extended warranty later? Like sometime within the 90 days before the other warranty expires?

Yes. You can do it anytime while your 1 year warranty is in effect.

Reaction score
would you guys recommend the AppleCare Protection plan, or the Apple ProCare? i just noticed the procare on the apple website, since there is finally a new apple store in my area that is worth the drive to go to. they just opened one up in providence, while previously the closest one was just a few miles outside of boston.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
brianj08 said:
would you guys recommend the AppleCare Protection plan, or the Apple ProCare? i just noticed the procare on the apple website, since there is finally a new apple store in my area that is worth the drive to go to. they just opened one up in providence, while previously the closest one was just a few miles outside of boston.
You are talking about two completely different things. ProCare is NOT a warranty. It just gives you preferential treatment at an Apple Store location.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
You are talking about two completely different things. ProCare is NOT a warranty. It just gives you preferential treatment at an Apple Store location.

thank you for clarifying that with me. i was under the impression that you could buy the procare, and if you had a problem it would all be taken care of, since the price was more expensive. its about 99$/year where as the warranty is 183$ for 3 years with my education discount.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Personnally I don't go for extended warranties. Things usually go wrong in the first year if they do. Over your lifetime you will save more money by not buying these things. Companies just offer them for extra revenue otherwise they wouldn't offer them because they bank on making quality products, which limits the lemons. But it gives a lot of people piece of mind to have an extended warranty so I assume it can be beneficial to both parties in that case.

I'd just get regular Applecare, not like they will look at you as an "Untouchable" because you didn't shell out more money. :black:

Good luck and I hope you don't have any problems with your new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
See now I'm just the opposite when it comes to warranties. I love them. This could be because I'm unlucky though. For example, I bought a 3 year warranty for my PS2. It served me well providing me with 6 systems. Same goes for cellphones, DVD players etc. I didn't buy a warranty for my iPod, must have slipped my mind because I didn't buy the iPod itself but 31 days after the standard warranty was up you can guess what happened :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I got an extended warranty for my macbook, simply because 60€ for 3 years piece of mind was worth it for me, especially since this is a rev. a product!

But I haven't got anything to cover my mobile or iPod... if they did break, I'd rather just pay a bit more to replace it with a newer model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.