• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Advice For Beginner (camera, software, etc.)

M

MacWannabe

Hi - I'm a Mac virgin. I want to start shooting and editing and need some advice on what to buy.

I got a 17" MBP and a 24" Dell screen for starters.

What's a good starter camera? I'm really wondering about format - I understand there are new HD based cams? Is that the way to go?

Also what software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
It all depends on what you want to do. If you're doing this to actually pursue some sort of career in video, HD is most likely the way to go since it is more easier to sell than SD. If you're doing this just as a hobby, than SD should be just fine. It's all personal preference really.
What is you're budget for a camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think macwannabe might be referring to hdd cams, as in video cameras that use a harddrive instead of a DV tape.

Leecho7 means HD as in high definition - ideally I'd look for a camera with both :)

But most high definition cameras use HDV I think - high definition DV tapes, which is fine as well. The tapes are re-useable and transferring material to your computer doesn't really take that long. A harddrive based model is a bit easier to transfer data back and forth, but I'd make sure a new camera is high definition instead.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
I think macwannabe might be referring to hdd cams, as in video cameras that use a harddrive instead of a DV tape.

Leecho7 means HD as in high definition - ideally I'd look for a camera with both :)

Good point, Apt, but I wouldn't tend to go for an hdd camera unless you really want the convenience - they pre-compress the footage, meaning that you have already lost quality before you get it onto your Mac - tape is much better.

Consumer cameras do not shoot in true HD - those that do cost about 80,000GBP!

The best consumer level system is HDV, such as Sony's Z1, which some people argue is as good as the professional SD Betacam (but not as good as HD).

The Sony is a good choice if you have the money and are prepared to spend the extra time working with HDV (bulkier files, longer renders), otherwise go for a good MiniDV camera such as the Canon XL2 or XM2.

If you are going to edit a lot, it's worth investing in Final Cut Express, which has all the basic features of FCP (though obviously get the latter if you can afford it).

All the best with your editing! There's nothing like watching your own films, however inane!

(apologies if I'm using UK model names - I don't know what they are internationally)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you are thinking about the xl2 then you would have to get final cut pro not express if you want to shoot in 24p, express can not handle 24 frames a second, it only does 60i, which is not bad if you want your stuff to look like it was shot on video, where 24p looks more like film

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
disciple said:
Consumer cameras do not shoot in true HD - those that do cost about 80,000GBP!

This statement is not true, you can get a true HD camera for alot less then that. I don't know how much 80,000GBP is in USD but I know that red will be selling for under $10,000 with out a lens, and the red lens will be 4500, unless you want to buy a standard 35mm lens instead.

Red is also shooting at higher resolutoins then professional HD

www.red.com

(its not released yet, but once it is, its going to be amazing, coming Q1 2007 most likely)

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of this. Looks good, but I wonder how it will translate to the UK - we usually end up paying about 40% more than the US price or have to do without a warranty!

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.