I think my iBook is dead...

Reaction score
This really burns me up. I've owned two Apple laptops now, and both died within a few weeks of having them. I thought that Apples were the most reliable computers out there?

Anyway, up until about ten minutes ago, this iBook hasn't given me any trouble at all, aside from a battery issue. Anyway I was just casually perusing the internet for maybe 10 minutes. I then had put the iBook down for 2 minutes to help my girlfriend do something. When I went back, the computer was kind of frozen; I could move the mouse around but couldn't do anything else. I then closed the lid to try to put it to sleep--no luck. When I opened it, the screen kind of flickered and some lines flickered across the screen. It did that for maybe 5 seconds and then the screen went blank. I tried to put the comptuer to sleep by closing the lid, but no luck. I then shut it down by holding the power button. Now I can't get it to turn on again.

So is this a dead logic board? This stinks. It was already replaced once; why would it die again? I was just starting to like Apples again after the last failure...

EDIT:

Actually, I noticed that the iBook seems to be running (if I put my ear up to it, I can hear it). However, the screen is totally blank and the apple on the lid is not lit up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
Are they warrantied? This seems like something that Apple would cover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
atomheartmother said:
Actually, I noticed that the iBook seems to be running (if I put my ear up to it, I can hear it). However, the screen is totally blank and the apple on the lid is not lit up.
Point a flash light at the screen to see if you can see some windows or the menu bar. If you can't see anything, and it will be difficult, then take/send it to Apple.

The only time I've seen this in on old Wallstreet laptops. I can't remember how I fixed it. Maybe I booted into OS 9, which I have. Or I managed to get the displays preference and fiddle with that. There might be an answer via a web search.

D

darcyl

I thought Apples were the most reliable computers out there.

Heh, this is one thing I learned the hard way as well: the operating system is definately the most reliable out there, but the hardware is still hardware. My 20" iMac went into the shop the day after I received it because it would boot to a white screen and freeze. I ended up getting my entire logic board (mobo, proc, video card) and my hard drive replaced...90% of my machine.

Totally sucks that this is your second one that's ended up like this though. Are you buying them from the website or from a local store? I wonder if both were from some bad batch or something.

DL

Reaction score
I think this is what is going on with mine... it sounds exactly like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
here's a question, have you tried to restart? have you taken out the batteries? reset the p-ram? try these things before jumpin gto the conclusion that the computer is dead.

S

sursuciofla

atomheartmother said:
EDIT:

So have you hooked up to an external monitor. If it sounds like it is running it might be the lappy monitor that is faulty. A month ago my screen went black and I thought the computer was dead but it was still running. I restarted and screen was restored. I still have no clue what happened but all is fine ever since then.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, it's the logic board that is faulty (well the graphics chip...it can become disconnected from the logic board if you grab the lower left corner thereby flexing the logic board popping out the graphics chip...). This is a big enough problem with enough iBooks that they started the Extended logic boar repair plan. However, it is probably almost over for all iBooks as they are getting dated. The plan outlined an extended three year warranty repair protection for the logic board starting three years from purchase. Since most iBooks are well beyond three years, the plan is pretty much over.

For my iBook, the plan ended thirty days ago (Sept. 2, 2006). But thankfully to the awesome powers of Apple customer relations, they were willing to make an exception and fix it for free. They're sending a box to me and I'll ship it to them to fix it. I'll hopefully have it back by the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

So to all iBook owners: Don't handle/lift/carry your iBooks by the lower left corner (the corner to the left of the trackpad). Always use two hands when the laptop is open or at the very least handle/lift it in the middle by the trackpad. This is the working theory at Apple discussion boards at least. I would do this for any laptop though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.