As a Noob, I think I've come to the right place...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD
New Mac user here... I received my MacBook this past Monday. I've found a couple good programs, but have a few questions about things, and this looks like the place where I can lump questions together. So... Thanks in advance!

Adium: Keeps crashing, every time I attempt to send an IM. Should I re-install it? I love this program so far (well, when it worked).

Entourage: Any Gmail users here? I can receive, but not send my mail. Any specific setting I may have missed in Gmail's tutorial?

Safari: Is there any way to make folders appear in the dropdown bookmarks tab, if they are not in the Bookmarks Bar? Similar to how Firefox and IE do it?

Imaging: iPhoto doesn't do everything I want to do. However, I'm not really pro enough to spend big money on Photoshop or Aperture. I sadly enough could use MS Paint for most of my imaging needs. I also don't like that when I tried to sync my 4,000 photos to browse in dashboard, it didn't keep them in folders... unless there is something I am missing. Is there any freeware, or cheap recommended software?

So far I really like my Mac. And as a long time Windows user I already don't miss right click. :) I think that is about it... If I have asked a FAQ, please steer me in the right direction.

In the future I plan of waiting for Leopard, and a final version of boot camp. I'm still undecided about running Vista or XP with it, but I do plan on this Mac lasting me a few good years. Comments appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Adium: Keeps crashing, every time I attempt to send an IM. Should I re-install it? I love this program so far (well, when it worked).

Try repairing permissions first, if that doesn't help then reinstall the app.

Entourage: Any Gmail users here? I can receive, but not send my mail. Any specific setting I may have missed in Gmail's tutorial?

It is pretty easy to set up. You can double-check your settings here:
GMail setup for Apple Mail client

Safari: Is there any way to make folders appear in the dropdown bookmarks tab, if they are not in the Bookmarks Bar? Similar to how Firefox and IE do it?

Yes, just add the folder to the list and add bookmarks to that folder.

Imaging: iPhoto doesn't do everything I want to do. However, I'm not really pro enough to spend big money on Photoshop or Aperture. I sadly enough could use MS Paint for most of my imaging needs. I also don't like that when I tried to sync my 4,000 photos to browse in dashboard, it didn't keep them in folders... unless there is something I am missing. Is there any freeware, or cheap recommended software?

Palette

If I have asked a FAQ, please steer me in the right direction.
The forums Search Function should do nicely for that.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Depending on what you really want to do with your photos, you may want to consider picking up PhotoShop Elements. It has many of the great features that are in PS, but at a fraction of the price. :)

BTW, congrats on your purchase.

D

darcyl

If you're still going to do some work on your Windows PC (for the imaging and what not), check out Paint.NET. Its a kicked up paint that's free and incorporates alot of the Photoshop features into it (like layers and effects).

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

DL

OP
Katty9203
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD
I think I might have to look into PS elements more. I am already familiar with Photoshop; I just don't have it for Mac. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone know the key command to go "back" in the finder window?

Thanks again!

T

todd51

If I'm not mistaken I hear that Gimp is a pretty nice image-editor tool, and I believe it's free. Google it!

Reaction score
Katty9203 said:
So far I really like my Mac. And as a long time Windows user I already don't miss right click. :) .

Welcome aboard - I just recently switched over also and have had no problems. By the way - I have a Logitech trackball mouse and I use right click and it works fine!

S

sursuciofla

Yeah I hear Gimp is nice. I use PS though, never used Gimp. There is no substitute.

But anyways I have a copy of photshop elements. I have never used it b/c I have always had PS around. So it's up for sale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
don't know what level you're at with your photos but adope lightroom is a pretty good beta now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.