clean install w/o data loss

Reaction score
So I want to start fresh but have all my docs and mail saved. Is there an easy way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
archive and install option. it backs up y our stuff and simply installs all OS related materials. do a forum and google search for more information.

-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
I probably didn't explain what I want to do right or just don't understand what i did.

So i ran the archive re-instal and now i still have all the same programs as a did before, but now I also have the pre-instal stuff I never installed and some programs wont start.

I installed a lot of random stuff when I first got my Mac. I want it to be nice and clean, w/o a bunch of programs, components, I don't use.

Reaction score
I've had my first mac for close to a year now, and i've been wondering the same thing.

Maybe it's just a habit from the many years of windows - maybe running AppZapper is really all that is needed? But still, it doesn't 'feel' clean like when I used to do a fresh wipe of windows.

Sab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
climbguy said:
So I want to start fresh but have all my docs and mail saved. Is there an easy way to do this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "start fresh".

That trick did work in Windows, but doesn't do anything for Mac.
This is Mac, not Windows, and reinstalling the OS is not going to get you any performance increase or enhancement.
If there are apps, components or other items that you don't use, then simply delete them. There is absolutely no need to go through the hassle of reinstalling the OS.

Reaction score
While it is true, you can simply delete the programs you no longer use, and probably would gain nothing from a 'fresh start', I don't like the idea of trialware spitting files throughout my system without my permission/knowledge.
Its just too.. Windows.

For example, if you install a trial program, and later delete it, and again install the same program, you will find that not only does it remember your trial has expired, but it often remembers your user preferences! Even using the popular 'AppZapper' doesn't get rid of all the files.

Sure, the files are miniscule in size, and not affecting performance, but I don't want them for all eternity.

-Sab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sabotage said:
For example, if you install a trial program, and later delete it, and again install the same program, you will find that not only does it remember your trial has expired, but it often remembers your user preferences! Even using the popular 'AppZapper' doesn't get rid of all the files.

Sure, the files are miniscule in size, and not affecting performance, but I don't want them for all eternity.

-Sab
You can manually delete those files if you like. If you want to be as thorough as you possibly can, just do a Spotlight search on the app name and delete every instance of it.

Reaction score
I'd don't see this happening with decent trialware application. I highly doubt you'll get to renew your trial period by simply searching common naming schemes.

Besides that, I got rid of GarageBand, and found another 2 GB of related files left behind.

-Sab

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.