PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.8 Released

ezhangin
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Just grabbed it on software update, no weird problems so far.

pbook24
09-29-2006, 04:13 PM
note:on intel machines, the restrt will be a few minutes, and will restart again after that.

geekboy2000
09-29-2006, 04:42 PM
note:on intel machines, the restrt will be a few minutes, and will restart again after that.

Yes, and when I saw that, for a minute, I thought Apple snuck a Windows feature into the update! :)

websyndicate
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Yea I update my ibook and my macbook both too a fair amount of time to restart. Both notebooks seem to be working fine.

mac57
09-29-2006, 04:54 PM
What is exciting and new in 10.4.8? Why would the average user want to pick it up?

Adam
09-29-2006, 04:59 PM
why wouldn't they?

PowerBookG4
09-29-2006, 05:21 PM
What is exciting and new in 10.4.8? Why would the average user want to pick it up?

The following is a quote from apple.com:

What’s New in this Version
The 10.4.8 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- connecting to wireless networks using the EAP-FAST protocol
- Apple USB modem reliability
- using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
- compatibility with 3rd party USB hubs
- scanner performance
- RAW camera support
- printing documents with Asian language names
- performance of the Translation widget
- broadband network performance
- security updates

devast8or
09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
ok my buddy just updated his macbook and the screen has a blue greyish tint to it and i dont mean slightly he did a pram dump to try to fix it no good still the same and one else got the same business going on? :oneye:

dtravis7
09-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Security updates. There is more but this is NOT a feature update.

Erudite.Warrior
09-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Just updated my Powerbook G4. Fastest update of all Tiger updates. Took about two minutes from the time I hit RESTART until I was back online. No issues yet but it's only been about three minutes.

devast8or - not sure what to tell your buddy. Has he got it working yet?

devast8or
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Just updated my Powerbook G4. Fastest update of all Tiger updates. Took about two minutes from the time I hit RESTART until I was back online. No issues yet but it's only been about three minutes.

devast8or - not sure what to tell your buddy. Has he got it working yet?

No its still blue looking he says hes just going to contact apple care about it

rman
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I would get the Mac OS X 10.4.8 Combo Update either the PPC (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1048comboupdateppc.html) or Intel (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1048comboupdateintel.html) and re-apply the update.

I alway use the combo update, when I update. I also wait about a week, to see if there are any problems.

groggo
09-29-2006, 09:11 PM
no problem here updated both imacs no differences in boot up or running

PowerBookG4
09-29-2006, 09:16 PM
No problems, had it a few hours, still nothing going on. Looks like all is good in intel land. (ppc quad not yet updated i am away for the weekend)

ThaXStank
09-29-2006, 10:55 PM
installed 10.4.8 and now my external harddrive is GONE , frustrating, if anyone else with a newer powermac dual core has the same problem let me know

PowerBookG4
09-29-2006, 10:59 PM
how about in disk utility? are they there?

christm
09-30-2006, 03:31 AM
i have just installed the update.

all seems fine, except - the status bar (or the bar at the top) - the idisk sync and the user icon dissapeared. i have now put them back there.

otherwise everything is fine

trapperjohn117
09-30-2006, 09:03 AM
ok my buddy just updated his macbook and the screen has a blue greyish tint to it and i dont mean slightly he did a pram dump to try to fix it no good still the same and one else got the same business going on?

it seems that alot of people are being affected by this i dont think that theres an offical fix yet but you can download the color profile from 10.4.7 and use that one instead drop the file into Library/ColorSync/Profiles When you go into the display settings to change it, there should be two files called Color LCD from what ive heard it's alot better but I cant verify this myself because my blackbook is running perfectly with 10.4.8

10.4.7 color profile (http://rapidshare.de/files/34921708/Color_LCD-4271780.icc.html)

fyrman22
09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Holy cow if you have a scrolling mouse or can scroll with your trackpad you can try this out. Hold ctrl and scroll up it zooms in. Found this on digg check it out.
http://daringfireball.net/2006/09/zoom_using_scroll_wheel

Adam
09-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Holy cow if you have a scrolling mouse or can scroll with your trackpad you can try this out. Hold ctrl and scroll up it zooms in. Found this on digg check it out.
http://daringfireball.net/2006/09/zoom_using_scroll_wheel

cool!

groggy23
09-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Updated last night, seems the same to me. It did restart twice as stated. Everything else seems normal to me. :/

campayne
09-30-2006, 01:53 PM
normal for me that zoom is cool

rift0065
09-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I have been able to do the zoom thing for a long time, ever since I got my mighty mouse... it has nothing to do with the new update, it's something you can set in the mouse preferences.

Aptmunich
09-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Office 2004 opens a lot faster it seems, so maybe Rosetta performance has been improved? Tried it both at home and on the macs at work...

Discerptor
09-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Office 2004 opens a lot faster it seems, so maybe Rosetta performance has been improved? Tried it both at home and on the macs at work...
Part of the update is apparently a fix for Altivec translation issues in Rosetta, so it's possible MS Office is being emulated more properly now.

groggy23
09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I did notice when I did the software check that a bunch of other applications updated as well, iPhoto, Garage, etc... Rosetta seems a little faster for me as well.

yogi
10-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Rosetta Schmoesetta :-P ... us old ppc-ers it bothers not :)

DeNNNiTh
10-01-2006, 04:59 AM
i have a macbook and just updated today... am i imagining things, or does the max. volume seem a little louder?

Aptmunich
10-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Rosetta Schmoesetta :-P ... us old ppc-ers it bothers not :)
Bah - you're just jealous that you don't have any lag opening office & photoshop :) - it's all the rage with the kids nowadays y'know...

CWMac
10-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Since updating , my core duo temp widget is recording my MB's temp as 60-62c. I know its not because it normally runs around 18c ish and because i just booted it up after 6 hours sleep lol.

BTW whats the difference between using update method via the apple symbol> Software Update and using the combo update link?

Aptmunich
10-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Software update will install the delta update, so it'll check your current system version and only update the bits that have changed since your last update (10.4.7).

The combo update has all the updates since 10.4.0 in one big package, so if anything that is required is missing or has been deleted accidently, this will replace it.

It is said to be less likely to cause issues on systems. (Although I've never had a problem with a system update yet, so: *shrug*):

Audio.Trench
10-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Got my Powermac updated.. I actually noticed web browsing was a bit faster. Doing my G4 Powerbook now...

campayne
10-01-2006, 03:35 PM
no real diffrence for me

cjay
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Got my Powermac updated.. I actually noticed web browsing was a bit faster. Doing my G4 Powerbook now...

Yeah I noticed that as well and thought I was imagining things.

pcleaveland
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
I updated my MacBook Pro, and I have been having AirPort issues. I have had an AirPort Express working on the same settings for over a year, and it just started completely disconnecting from the base station.

It won'e even recognize the Base Station until you turn Airport off, and back on again.

Anyone else noticed this?

campayne
10-01-2006, 11:47 PM
did they have mbp a year ago?

pcleaveland
10-02-2006, 11:31 AM
did they have mbp a year ago?
If you look at my stats to the left you would notice that I have two machines, so no, they did not have a mbp a year ago, but I did have a powerbook and an AirPort Express (which has been on the same settings for over a year.)

Tried to prove me wrong before helping me, thanks!

Discerptor
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I updated my MacBook Pro, and I have been having AirPort issues. I have had an AirPort Express working on the same settings for over a year, and it just started completely disconnecting from the base station.

It won'e even recognize the Base Station until you turn Airport off, and back on again.

Anyone else noticed this?
First, I'd check your Airport settings to make sure something didn't change; I know OS X updates used to change some of my custom settings a while back. I would also suggest repairing Disk Permissions after every major update, as they tend to mess them up sometimes. Also, I'd use the Combo Updater rather than the Delta; it just makes me feel much more safe. Finally, if those don't work, I'd go to the extreme and go as far as to reset the NVRAM.

iRizzo
10-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Just updated mine. I don't know how long it took. I started the update and then went to a class and then came back and it was done. Office:Mac opens a lot faster and my internet definately seems faster now. I'm happy so far.

pcleaveland
10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
First, I'd check your Airport settings to make sure something didn't change; I know OS X updates used to change some of my custom settings a while back. I would also suggest repairing Disk Permissions after every major update, as they tend to mess them up sometimes. Also, I'd use the Combo Updater rather than the Delta; it just makes me feel much more safe. Finally, if those don't work, I'd go to the extreme and go as far as to reset the NVRAM.

Yeah, I did disk permissions and all the usual maintenance immediately afterwards. All the AirPort settings are still the same, and the roommate's powerbook is still working fine. Mine is out of commission right now. My MBP is doing better today, maybe it was just a coincidental glitch yesterday.

Thanks man!

CWMac
10-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Since update (did combo) my airport radar widget pulses . What i mean is i use the widget to show what connections are in the area. Mine always show of course but every couple of seconds another identical one pulses for a second and show up.
When another connection is in the area it show that (with or without lock) and also shows two of these and pulses them on and off.

Previously before this update my MB was disconnecting itself from the hub and i had to reboot to reconnect.Other pcs in house did not have this problem.

pcleaveland
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Ah, Ha!
I knew it...

Apple issues support doc for wonky AirPort performance on Intel Macs - http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/03/apple-issues-support-doc-for-wonky-airport-performance-on-intel/

Now, lets see if we can solve this mofo.

groggy23
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
The only problem I had with my Airport Extreme is when I start either my iBook or iMac it take a couple moment for the internet connection to kick in. But its been doing that since before this update. Same goes for my bluetooth

sursuciofla
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
The only problem I had with my Airport Extreme is when I start either my iBook or iMac it take a couple moment for the internet connection to kick in. But its been doing that since before this update. Same goes for my bluetooth

So you are not groggy? That's good!

You know what I feel like an outcast...everyone with their little macbooks and what not and having so many issues with updates and dirty palmrests, cracked shells, faulty logic boards...and I just feel I am missing out. Plus the fact that I can't really help too much since I have no experience with them. :doctor: :oneye: :dummy:

macmini3399
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Woo, im jumping 3 upgrades, I was at 10.4.5. My Favourite was 10.4.6
I

groggy23
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
So you are not groggy? That's good!

You know what I feel like an outcast...everyone with their little macbooks and what not and having so many issues with updates and dirty palmrests, cracked shells, faulty logic boards...and I just feel I am missing out. Plus the fact that I can't really help too much since I have no experience with them. :doctor: :oneye: :dummy:

I can be most of the times. :spook: Not really bothersome to me but just curious. Btw, I haven't seen that Tampa Bay Bucs logo in a loong time! In fact, I used to have those old bench seats..

bradyusi
10-04-2006, 01:43 AM
i applied the 10.4.8 update and upon reboot i now have a black rectangle around my mouse pointer. the mouse pointer position in the black rectangle is relative to my pointers position on the screen.

how can i make this go away.

it's quite annoying.

i did a few searches.. and did not come up with any previous threads with this issue. sorry if i repost

-brady

**stuff added here**

i found a similar thread here (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42683) but still no results. I've checked every preference, even if the section really didn't apply.

Say_Cheese
10-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I have a problem since upgrading to 10.4.8 where by the Airport on my iMac no longer automatically connects to the router on startup. It used to before the upgrade. I have followed to the letter all the instruction in this thread and it made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ah, Ha!
I knew it...

Apple issues support doc for wonky AirPort performance on Intel Macs - http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/03/apple-issues-support-doc-for-wonky-airport-performance-on-intel/

Now, lets see if we can solve this mofo.

CWMac
10-06-2006, 05:41 AM
My MacBook refuses to connect via wireless at all now.All the other comps in the house are fine so its not router trouble.I followed onstructions as per apples web site and now its dead. :(

Was intermittent before now after following apples instructions is totally dead.

edit: ignore that.I am so used to years of PC troubles etc that when the connection stopped working and wouldnt restart i assumed it was the computer.Checked router and it was frozen for some reason.I restarted it and it worked.That'll teach me lol.

Say_Cheese
10-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Mine has nothing to do with the router. If I manually select the connection then I can connect fine. However it used to be a case of as soon as I started the Mac up it would connect to the network automatically, now I have to connect manually.

NanoBite
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Mine has nothing to do with the router. If I manually select the connection then I can connect fine. However it used to be a case of as soon as I started the Mac up it would connect to the network automatically, now I have to connect manually.

When you're connected and the mapped volume is showing on your desktop, drag it to Sys Prefs>Accounts>Login Items and drop it in the window that has the items which open auto when you log in.

That way you don't have to manually connect each time. I just learned this here on the forum recently and it's an awesome tip.

maz94protege
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
just did the update on mine, and now it suddenly always shuts down. I have no idea. i dis-abled the motionsensor thinking it was that. but stil... any ideas

macbook 1.83ghz

oldnewmac
11-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I find it amazing how Apple has us all under the whip, pretty much. Newer versions of the same operating system come out every year, give or take and we have to pay for it dearly if we want it.
On the other side of the fence. Windows XP has been out for sometime now and not once has anyone paid for an upgrade or newer version of XP, in fact the updates to the XP operating system are transparent and automatic all without cost or hassle. Of course Windows Vista will be out maybe next year, so we will start all over again with a new operating system for Windows. This will affect Apple users who are running both OS-X and Windows on their new Macs.
I say Apple should make it simple and leave us users out of all the technical stuff and do what Microsoft does with transparent updates we don't have to bother with.

Jem
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Trolling or just a misguided comment oldnewmac? I'm not sure but I'll answer it anyways.

You don't have to pay for the 8 updates that have been released for Tiger since 10.4 came out. In exactly the same way you don't have to pay for XP Service Pack 1 or 2 if you bought XP.

In the same way users will pay for Leopard when it appears as the Windows users will pay for Vista.

'nuff said.

jc1350
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I think people are confused at Apple's version numbers. Common use is that a major release (as in new version) is the left-most digit with large/important updates the next digit, less important/minor updates further to the right etc.

However, Apple and Sun do things differently (and I confess, I don't understand it) - to them, the first digit to the right of the left-most decimal is the new release/new OS. Sun dose it with Solaris (5.8 and 5.9 often referred to as "Solaris 8 and Solaris 9) - they where each a new OS and required $$$ to buy them.

So, try not to let 10.3 v 10.4 trick you into thinking they are just updates to the same OS. In Apple's eyes, they are every bit as different as Win2000 and WinXP are to Microsoft.

rman
11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
That is why each major (paid) update has a name.

10.2 jaguar
10.3 panther
10.4 tiger