Thinkpad to Macbook

Reaction score
Well my saga began nearly two months ago when I bought my daughter a MacBookpro. She is a senior vocal performance major and I was nervous about setting up a Linux box for her, since I might not be readily available for IT support. I did my research and found that the Macbookpro offered all I wanted for her and one major thing I didn't...MS. She, not a computer lover at all, became intoxicated with her new toy and could hardly drag herself away from it.....hmmmm. Then my Thinkpad R40 (running Linux (Kanotix)) died...wwwaaaaa. So research for myself began. Thinkpads ain't what they used to be. Always wanted an Apple....so, I took a look at the MacBook Black 2.0....OMG. I am a teacher and I depend upon my equipment...I take my computer with me every where, so my computer must be reliable and rugged. For the same price I could have easily gotten another XP box, that I'd have to rip the OS off of immediately....or... So, I got the Black MacBook last Sunday... I am thrilled with my choice. The black suits me well. The underlying OS...Unix based is exciting. Keyboard is similar to the feel to my old Thinkpad. Thank you Apple. I have an OS I can hack a bit, the absence of MS, an interface that is amazing, and hardware that seems, at this point, to rival the Thinkpads of Old...I am quickly becoming a very happy old teacher/hacker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Congrats and Welcome!!

I switched for the same reason. Its nice to have an OS that I can run my music software on and still have a nice terminal to run my linux software on. Since you also came from Linux, you might want to check out DarwinPorts. I run alot of Unix/Linux software on my Mac now! :)

--lifeafter2am

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.