Problems with Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi guys i need a little help here I have just converted to Mac from windows I have used a Windows sytem for the last 12 years and even tested M$ Vista which i now know is a OS X rip off.

I have just recently picked up a G4 Duel processor machine complete with 20" monitor and OS X Panther 10.3 from my cousin. The system from what i've seen is cool but for some reason my brain seems stuck in windows mode.

i can not install some software from the CD nor can i get certain DMG files to load I've seen the sticky about common problems and followed the instructions without any joy.

I've also followed the Go/utilities/installer and again No joy. The trouble i have is that i don't have any re-install disks (stupid i know) but the price was too good to say No.

I'm obviously missing something can someone please point me in the right direction of a tut or something i can do to see if a need a total re-install.

I've also seen that panther 10.3 and tiger 10.4 is only compatabile with my machine if upgraded from OS 9.0 which i don't have :doctor:

All i need are pointers i don't expect to be spoon fed :headphone

Thank you all for taking time to read this post

Reaction score
An installer's icon of a cardboard box with the flaps open means it works like a Windows installer. Disk-image installers work like this example of a Firefox install.

After the app is installed, eject the rectangular disk-image icon and trash the .dmg file, unless you want to keep the .dmg file as a backup. You can drag the just-installed app from the Applications folder to the dock, where an alias (shortcut) of it is planted.

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers brown study for the reply the CD icon i have open up into several files/folders till it show the Brown box with sides open called Card Bus Wireless Pkg. but when i click on it i get the following: Installer pakage Wirelss can not be opened The Bill of Materials for this package was not found.

what should i be using to open this file many thanks

Reaction score
Is the CD icon the CD itself? Or is it an icon inside an icon inside the CD? I'm not sure what kind of pathway you're following.

Did you right-click an icon to "Show Package Contents?" Those .pkg things, usually if not always, were inside an application icon (which is really a folder full of files, some of which are distributed in the computer the first time the app runs).

Edit: Not in an application icon but distributed by an installer.

If you do a Command-F search of the hard drive for pkg, you'll see a ton of them.

You might be trying to install a package that is or was within an installer.

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brown Study said:
Is the CD icon the CD itself? Or is it an icon inside an icon inside the CD? I'm not sure what kind of pathway you're following.

Did you right-click an icon to "Show Package Contents?" Those .pkg things, usually if not always, were inside an application icon (which is really a folder full of files, some of which are distributed in the computer the first time the app runs).

Edit: Not in an application icon but distributed by an installer.

If you do a Command-F search of the hard drive for pkg, you'll see a ton of them.

You might be trying to install a package that is or was within an installer.

Hi thanks again fistly i can't right click as the mouse that comes with this machine doesn't have any buttons its just a click mouse also i'm not sure what you mean by Cmd-F search if i do Cmd-f i fet the search box but i'm not sure what i need to type in to should i type .pkg

Little update i managed to get Cmd-F to work found the .pkg file with the name of the file i needed clicked on it and hey presto it began to install wouldn't do it from the CD or even when i copied the file strange but thanks for the pointer. now i just got to configure the wireless net work it say i'm connected but i can't get web pages to display, but thats another task lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Towbar said:
Hi thanks again fistly i can't right click as the mouse that comes with this machine doesn't have any buttons its just a click mouse also i'm not sure what you mean by Cmd-F search if i do Cmd-f i fet the search box but i'm not sure what i need to type in to should i type .pkgl

to right click its ctrl+click or just get a mighty mouse that has 2 buttons, or any othere USB mouse and you can right click just as you would windows.

For searching, if you dont have the new ver of OSX, just open your Hardrive icon and search in that field on the side.

hope this helps. enjoy! Ill never go back to another win pc. they suxxor

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks guys problem sorted wireless network now working and other programs installed safely I think i'm now getting the jist of things or at least till the next problem crops up

Many Thanks Towbar :biohazard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.