3D Software

I

IanRobinett

I am a recent PC convert to Mac, and am looking to explore the graphical abilities of it. I am used to programs such as 3D Studio Max for 3D modeling, rendering, and animation, and am wondering what Mac software might be comperable, or better for that matter. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I used Blender for a while on my Linux machine. Its really powerful, and I've seen some incredible stuff made with it. I never really got into it though, I am more of a music guy. :headphone

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
IanRobinett said:
Are either of these real comperable to something like 3d Max?
I used that way back in high school. From what I have done with it, I would say that Blender is more powerful. That is just from tinkering though, like I said I never really go into it that much.

If you want a great list of 3D programs, check out Digital Blasphemy. I subscribe to his wallpapers, and they are freaking amazing! On his site he has a list of all the programs that he uses. I didn't know there were so many. :headphone

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
IanRobinett said:
Are either of these real comperable to something like 3d Max?

I had blender for a while, but never got into it. Lightwave is certainly on levels with 3D Studio Max. Those two and Maya are the three big names in 3D animation. Great thing about Lightwave, is that it comes with a great render engine. I hear 3DS Max has a shoddy default render engine, as most companies use alternate ones - which leads to considerable additional costs.

Check out the Newtek site for some lightwave galleries ;) (as well as plenty of great modelling, lighting, rendering and animation tuts)
It's been used for many films and animation projects. LW9 is in beta form I think, and has been rebuilt from the ground up with all new and more powerful modelling and rendering capabilities. I read it renders much fuster now.

OP
I

IanRobinett

Awesome... I am in the process of looking into these three... I've really wanted to start making some 3D images, animations, etc., but never had a PC that could handle it. My PCs always got mad when I'd make them render trade show graphics in Photoshop, so I never bothered trying 3D until now. Thankfully the college I attended had some PCs with 3Ds Max so I got my exposure there...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.